Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

500mW 405nm HL405 from Skylaser [LaserBTB]

Are IMR batteries required to keep up with the laser's current draw, or will standard 16340's (from Orbtronic) be sufficient? Seriously considering adding this to my GB order and would like to be prepared. Thanks!

I finally got around to testing the draw. It came in at a steady 430mA at the tailcap. Most cheap (read UltraFire) batteries should be able to keep up with that much draw, but their performance and overall life will degrade faster. I haven't put anything but the IMRs in this laser, but I have been using some UltraFires in my 1W 445nm (I haven't tested it quite yet, but I estimate it to be drawing a full Amp). The batteries in my 445nm last about five minutes, and they lose their charge after about 10 cycles with this much draw. If you ask me, that just plain sucks. I was having to buy new UltraFires after very few uses. I've already killed around six batteries with it. I just bought some more IMRs, though, so I'm going to start using them in all my lasers. All-in-all, I'd recommend getting the IMRs, as they're rated to handle up to 5A.

Edit: I added the draw to the review right after the beam characteristics.

Last edited:
You haven't by chance ever LPMed this laser, have you?

This will be the first of my lasers to hit an LPM when I get one, and I've been thinking one should be my next laser-related purchase. The only reason I don't have one already is that they're quite expensive. I keep having to decide between a new laser or an LPM, and I keep picking the laser. I'm probably going to go with the tried-and-true Laserbee, and I could calibrate it against my 1001mW 445nm (assuming Lazerer.com's LPM is accurate). I'm hoping a lot of people from the Skylaser groupbuy round two will LPM this model, so I can have a rough estimate/idea of what it should be outputting.

Heh, I know exactly what you're talking about... do I get the laser, or the lpm... eventually the need to know will overwhelm you. That's how it went with me:p

The laserbees are calibrated... so definitely no need to recalibrate it based on results from lazerer test.

Also there is usually some difference from test to test... not at all uncommon to see +/- 5% from the same exact laser, when doing the same exact test.

I think it's a safe bet that lots of lasers from this upcoming GB will be tested. I'm just very hopeful that the 405nm will be overspec. IMO the fun with 405nm starts at 500mW+ ideally 6-700mW for a nice beam at night.

Oh, they already come calibrated? Perfect! All the more reason to get one! This 405nm is currently my favorite laser hands down. I sit in awe every time I turn it on at night. The beam is just so beautiful!

The laserbees? Of course they come calibrated. I thought maybe you meant to built and LPM.

Handheld lasers, for the most part, are nowhere near stable enough to use for calibration purposes unfortunately.

The idea has been floated around in the past to have a kind of community set of very stable lasers, that could be sent from one user to the next to calibrate DIY LPM's but it never took off.

I have one of the SD-301 lasers in 405nm and I love it. Can't wait to check out 500+ mW.

My question regarding batteries is in reference to GOOD batteries only - LG, Sanyo, AW, etc. No cheap Ultrafire pipe-bomb nonsense for me. I think I'm going to go for AW IMR cells regardless, but how do good quality ICR cells handle this type of laser?

Should be fine. I mean you're probably not going to get everything you can out of the laser in terms of power, but it will work.

Well I'm getting the PL so well have to see if there's a big difference in stability or power from the HL and PL as I believe we both have Ophir lpms.

Well, my experience with 405nm lasers is they handle heat rather well. At 500mW I can't see there being any difference, at least not for the first minute or two.

After that of course the PL will likely do better.

Affirmative on the ophir :)

I can't wait to see some tests on this! Will you guys be posting to this thread as well with LPM results? That'd be awesome for people coming along looking for information on these lasers (as I'm sure it'd get buried in the groupbuy thread). I could even add a list of recorded outputs by members to the OP.

If I remember, I'll be sure to copy my results over there too. I have a bunch of lasers coming so will certainly be interesting to see what's up to spec, and what isn't.

Heh, I know exactly what you're talking about... do I get the laser, or the lpm... eventually the need to know will overwhelm you. That's how it went with me:p

Therein lies MY dilemma - I've wanted a Laserbee for some time now, but while cruising videos of them in action I of course notice the laser being tested and think.....gee...it'd be sweet to have one of those.....

As a result of Offroad's most recent GB I'll soon be in possession of three more lasers I can't yet lpm! :crackup: