Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

500 Trillion Watt Laser... no joke

mikeox

That is some awesome power! But at 200,000 dollars a shot very expensive.

DrSid

200.000 is for NIF laser, not OSU laser .. this is supposed to be cheaper, that's why it's done as I understand.

Btw. help me with my English here .. what does 30 million-billionths mean ? 30x10^-15 ? Sounds like pretty short time.

Anyway, this sentence is wrong:

The OSU laser will fire at a higher energy than the National Ignition Facility at Lawrence Livermore Labs—500 trillion watts vs 411 trillion watts—but will do so for a much shorter period—a billionth of a second for the NIF, 30 million-billionths for the OSU.

Peak power is what is higher (and just slightly). Energy is lower, and if I understand the term above correctly, it's a lot lower.

Edit: here is more info about teh laser: http://hedp.osu.edu/Facilities. Indeed .. femto seconds .. cool.

NIF energy: 2 MJ
OSU energy: 20 J

Btw. the laser is 800nm, but it is pumped by green .. would you believe that ?

Last edited:
Yes, I guess it has a much lower total energy output overall because of the shorter time but that doesn't matter in the context of its use. The single huge pulse is probably enough to start a nuclear fission reaction, so as long as you get that reaction started, the time doesn't matter.

DrSid

Well I guess it won't start the reaction .. in such case the NIF would be not needed. They say they want to use to study materials and procedures with such high energies, as besides NIF, there is no such laser, and NIF has too low repeat rate to produce reasonable amount of data.

We normally measure laser light by it's wavelength but I wonder whether it can even generate a full wavelength at that speed? Anyone got a calculator :)

DrSid

I came up with 12 micrometers (40fs pulse). Ie 15 wavelengths.

Shinyyy :drool: So, OD2 goggles should work, right? :crackup:

Btw. help me with my English here .. what does 30 million-billionths mean ? 30x10^-15 ?

Yes, that's correct.

Million=10^-6
Billion=10^-9
Million-billionth=10^-15
(Also called a quadrillionth)