Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"500 mw" laser chinese garbage?

Haha i know what a pot mod is but idk if i want to ruin the laser this early. Maybe one day when im tired of it ill crank it up and see what it can do
thats good you know what pot mod is and you havent touched it, so many would touch it, then be asking why it broke or why when they look directly at the aperture then can see a dimm red light etc <- GRRRRRR
SOME older DPSS lasers might have lasted a slight pot mod, but not these days, anyway a good battery and charger should see you right, just stick to sensible duty cycles for a good life on the cheaper lasers

Last edited:

thats good you know what pot mod is and you havent touched it, so many would touch it, then be asking why it broke or why when they look directly at the aperture then can see a dimm red light etc <- GRRRRRR
SOME older DPSS lasers might have lasted a slight pot mod, but not these days, anyway a good battery and charger should see you right, just stick to sensible duty cycles for a good life on the cheaper lasers

Whats your personal reccomendation for 18650 batteries? I want the panasonic because of the 3400mAh but i heard there are ones for vaping that put out 25-30 amps vs the panasonics 10 amps. More amps means the beam will be stronger but the battery wont last as long right?

No that's not how it works! Whatever batteries you use, the laser will draw the same current! You need to learn some basic electronics and Ohms law and basic math.

Whats your personal reccomendation for 18650 batteries? I want the panasonic because of the 3400mAh but i heard there are ones for vaping that put out 25-30 amps vs the panasonics 10 amps. More amps means the beam will be stronger but the battery wont last as long right?
you did say personal recomendation so..... I do recomend the Panasonic NCR18650 3400mAh flat or button top, for a beginer maybe even a protected battery to start off, that will stop you from over discharging/charging etc, which will eventually ruin the battery and possibly cause fire explosion etc(worst case scenario)

I didnt know the Hybrid NCR18650 came with 3400mAh i though it was only 2900mAh but im not sure, i would stick with 3400mAh anyway, your laser will not be drawing much current at all, i would guess under 1A so regardless of if you have high drain cells its just going to get e.g 500mA, but with less capactiy batteries the voltage will lower faster and may dim faster,

I used to think exactly the same about batteries, i thought that high drain cells would just like RAM extra current through somehow but no..
Have a little read on Batteries "Internal resistance" type it in LPF search bar , thats an important 1st learning when it comes to batterys

you did say personal recomendation so..... I do recomend the Panasonic NCR18650 3400mAh flat or button top, for a beginer maybe even a protected battery to start off, that will stop you from over discharging/charging etc, which will eventually ruin the battery and possibly cause fire explosion etc(worst case scenario)

I didnt know the Hybrid NCR18650 came with 3400mAh i though it was only 2900mAh but im not sure, i would stick with 3400mAh anyway, your laser will not be drawing much current at all, i would guess under 1A so regardless of if you have high drain cells its just going to get e.g 500mA, but with less capactiy batteries the voltage will lower faster and may dim faster,

I used to think exactly the same about batteries, i thought that high drain cells would just like RAM extra current through somehow but no..
Have a little read on Batteries "Internal resistance" type it in LPF search bar , thats an important 1st learning when it comes to batterys

Im getting the nitecore i4 so i dont think i would need a protected battery? Also if the flat top cells arent long enough to reach the connectors in my laser, would it be a bad idea to stack aluminum to make it reach? Im probably going to measure the dimensions of the ultrafire battery they sent me with a digital caliper and compare it to the dimensions of the Panasonic battery to see if it will fit

Im getting the nitecore i4 so i dont think i would need a protected battery? Also if the flat top cells arent long enough to reach the connectors in my laser, would it be a bad idea to stack aluminum to make it reach? Im probably going to measure the dimensions of the ultrafire battery they sent me with a digital caliper and compare it to the dimensions of the Panasonic battery to see if it will fit
a protected battery will also stop you from over discharge though, so if you use the battery to a voltage somewhere under or around 2.7 volts, it is considered over discharging which is unhealthy for the battery, some chargers wont charge an over discharged battery but i think nitecore i4 will if you remove batt then put it in again, charging over discharged batterys can possibly cause disasters too, there is also the fact that the protection circuit will kick in if the battery shorts out or is put under high demand out of its capability, which will again protect you from many different situations
, you can always carefully stretch your spring or something to make batt fitt or put blobs of solder here n there

a protected battery will also stop you from over discharge though, so if you use the battery to a voltage somewhere under or around 2.7 volts, it is considered over discharging which is unhealthy for the battery, some chargers wont charge an over discharged battery but i think nitecore i4 will if you remove batt then put it in again, charging over discharged batterys can possibly cause disasters too, there is also the fact that the protection circuit will kick in if the battery shorts out or is put under high demand out of its capability, which will again protect you from many different situations
, you can always carefully stretch your spring or something to make batt fitt or put blobs of solder here n there

Ok ill buy the protected panasonics soon, how long do you think they will last in this laser per battery?

Ok ill buy the protected panasonics soon, how long do you think they will last in this laser per battery?
ok , dont feel like im presuring you into getting protected batterys, but there are alot less worries as a beginer around batterys with them, like i said that was just my PERSONAL recomendation,
have you done a current draw test on your laser with your multi meter? after you have an average current draw you can usually make an estimate runtime from the 3400mAh rating

possibly dust or other stuff on the lens, maybe inside of lens or outer,
If its a focusable Laser usually you could sorta diagnose that it it the lens if the "fuzz" spins when spinning the head

possibly dust or other stuff on the lens, maybe inside of lens or outer,
If its a focusable Laser usually you could sorta diagnose that it it the lens if the "fuzz" spins when spinning the head
I wish it was focusable :( the fuzz cant be removed, i cleaned the diode and both sides of the lense with a ear swab. I charged the battery and tested the run time. The laser ran continuously from 4:20pm-5:45pm and the battery charged from zero to full in 5:48pm-6:53pm, but the power of the laser is still very low with a full battery so im not impressed. But i do like the run time

Last edited:
Okay, just couple questions -

You ran it continuously for an hour and 25 minutes? :tsk: Was it getting a bit "warm"?

Did the fuzz appear before or after you "cleaned" the lens and "diode"?

Okay, just couple questions -

You ran it continuously for an hour and 25 minutes? :tsk: Was it getting a bit "warm"?

Did the fuzz appear before or after you "cleaned" the lens and "diode"?

Yeah i tried to torture test it to see if i could get it to go kaboom because im probably going to buy a different laser soon, but i was curious to see how long it would last. It was getting a bit warm, but not hot. The fuzz happened before i even touched the parts. I dont notice any damage to the laser from the run test, the beam can easily be seen in the night sky still. It just doesnt burn anything, it never was able to :p

That is amazing. I'm really surprised it still works. Most of those green lasers are only good for 30sec,
maybe 1min max.

maybe the board is capable of much more but for some reason it isnt getting as much power as it should :confused: ?

whoa, that is a torture test and it survived! when you say charged battery from zero to full what do you mean by zero?
and out of curiousity what made you stop the torture test? low batt? dimming? or?