Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

4W Argon Demo

$1355 shipped for head/PSU; ~$25 for nuts/bolts/ductwork; ~$20 for electrical components in the control box I made. The Blower was collecting dust and rust at an alarming rate in the basement already.

The Tube is drawing ~35A with a 185 voltage drop; The blower takes 15A at 120V; The cathode takes Something like 25A at 3V. There's also the electromagnets that take 75V but I haven't tested the current for them.

Every once in a while you can find a phenomenal deal on eBay.

:eek:
That thing is INCREDIBLE!
I love the color of it.
And I thought that something was wrong when it took so long to light a match.. But like Maelstrom said, it was actually solder!

My ArIons won't do that  :(    Be careful that the smoke doesn't get sucked in there and coat the optics  :eek:
I hate to see mine drawing 10 Amps --- You can heat your house !!!

Mike

*watches video*

Wow, that is amazing.

*looks over at my 50mW ArIon*

What a piece of junk!

*heaves it out the window*

this video is amazing!!!
what happens if you wave your hand through it kinda like waving your hand over a lighter's flame, lol.

and how do you get it this color? im just wondering.. why dont we see any pointers this color?

lastly, what was the name of this song?
great video! i give you +1 REPZ sir!

Maelstrom said:
I was sitting there wondering why it took you so long to light the match, but you were MELTING solder! thats insane!
If i had that I would be throwing baloons into the beam... would probally pop instantly....
yeah....probably........but i wouldnt count on it..lol.

i thought that was a match too!

EDIT:
and one last question... what do you have your laser pointed at? your wall? whatever it is shouldnt it be on fire right now? lol

abadcaffeinetrip said:
How do you terminate the beam?

I don't. It's just cooking away at the wall. :)
that answered that question :)

Thanks for the comments everyone :D

abadcaffeinetrip said:
:eek: What kind of eye protection do you use?

WL goggles :-/. However, it's not exactly easy to wave the head around, thus greatly decreasing my chances of hitting a reflective surface.

abadcaffeinetrip said:
How do you terminate the beam?

I don't. It's just cooking away at the wall. :)

That is so awesome. Im now gonna sit on ebay for the rest of my life until one comes up. :p

mikeeey said:
and how do you get it this color? im just wondering.. why dont we see any pointers this color?

It's that color by design, although one could alter it slightly with different optics. Gas lasers and diode lasers are quite different. There are some DPSS modules at 488nm, but they're priced somewhere between a yellow and an excimer.

Switch said:
Did you measure the beam diameter and divergence? :p
Diameter is about 2.5-3mm with a divergence of about 2mRad. I haven't taken any official measurements yet. The large bore diameter is why it can output so much and still be relatively small.

Considering that argon lasers are regarded as poor burners this is pretty impressive! However, a milliwatt is a milliwatt (or watt in this case) so I don't know why that would be so.

arg tooo expensive lol.

could you tell me the name of the song? i really like the guitar.

Asylum of glass by Buckethead

buckethead.jpg

Schrecken_Licht said:
Considering that argon lasers are regarded as poor burners this is pretty impressive! However, a milliwatt is a milliwatt (or watt in this case) so I don't know why that would be so.

Because Class IV argons are usually out of stock at walmart. :p

Cyparagon said:
Asylum of glass by Buckethead

buckethead.jpg

[quote author=Schrecken_Licht link=1212304917/24#28 date=1212462194]Considering that argon lasers are regarded as poor burners this is pretty impressive! However, a milliwatt is a milliwatt (or watt in this case) so I don't know why that would be so.  

Because Class IV argons are usually out of stock at walmart.  :p[/quote]
of corse! now i remember! now wonder it's so good! i knew i heard the song atleast once before, thanks!

Cyparagon said:
$1355 shipped for head/PSU; ~$25 for nuts/bolts/ductwork; ~$20 for electrical components in the control box I made. The Blower was collecting dust and rust at an alarming rate in the basement already.

The Tube is drawing ~35A with a 185 voltage drop; The blower takes 15A at 120V; The cathode takes Something like 25A at 3V. There's also the electromagnets that take 75V but I haven't tested the current for them.

Every once in a while you can find a phenomenal deal on eBay.

1. Does that 4W have a beryllium laser tube bore?

I saw a 240vac 3phase krypton Spectra Physics 1W beryllium bore laser burn a popsicle stick at the St Louis planentarium.
It was cooled by a garden hose that came circulated from from a tap in basement. Several times I drove out to see Laserium only to be turned around dissapointed because the laser had blew a seal again!

2. Remember Laserium?