Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

488nm Sharp Solarforce Build

Dang! I was hoping I could buy some of them somewhere. I do like the way you recessed the module to accept the focus knob and since you polished everything to a mirror finish it all looks very professional.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks SGD, it did turn out better than expected! :yh:
I need to get my own lathe also, although I've been saying that forever.

@Paul, I've done the recessed module thing on a few of my builds lately, to me it looks better to see the focus knob going into the heatsink rather than the threaded lens holder, and as a bonus, it helps support and steady the lens while focusing.

Last edited:
Hi, BTG,
The lathe is only one part of the plan well all the tooling that goes with it is another story $$$. The tooling part is the major addiction here, I'm always looking for other tolling it gets crazy after awhile.

Rich:)

Last edited:
BowtieGuy!
Damn-that's lovely-both the host- your lathed Copper Heatsink- focus- AND great beam shots. Beautiful work.
One of my friends asked me WHY I like this stuff. I can't really explain it. :)
Several years ago I got into modding "ForceFX" replica lightsabers-which in part entailed removing a strip of low power LED's in the polycarbonate blade, and replacing it with a single strong LED. Some soldering was required.
I bought the parts. I suspect I may get into home made Lasers someday soon-but I lack the lathe or skills to do what you do,
Still- this is inspirational!
Thanks for sharing!
I added Rep points, btw. Now that I have attained 1 mW status! :)

Last edited:
This is a 'beaut! I really like the way this color looks through glass as well - these are super pics. Very well done!
Is that Chevy II a '66 ? I'd love to see more pics ...maybe some lumia off the hood?!? haha
But really - awesome job, thanks for sharing!!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
@chloderic, thank you sir, glad you liked it ! :yh:

@Pelagius, thanks, appreciate your comments; I've always liked those lightsabers and have been wanting to mod one into a laser for a long time, but just haven't done it yet.
We've had some members here make a few lightsaber based lasers that turned out well, the threads are probably still around with a search.
Yes, now that you have 50 posts, your accumulated rep now shows up in your profile, thank you for the +rep btw!

@LewDude, thanks, your comment means a lot coming from a photography pro!
Good eyes, my car in the background is a 67 Nova SS; I do have some other pics of it around here, I'll have to dig them up.

Speaking of classic cars, I'm on my way to the annual "Dream Cruise" on Woodward Ave. to see all the beautiful eye candy from around the country. :yh:

That event looks terrific :drool: Looks like you are going to have splendid weather this morning, too! Have a great time!
I'm picking up on the "Bowtie" reference now. Envious of that '67, for sure! Have a great one!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yep, hoping for a good day, just got down here and already ran into a couple of guys from New Zealand, definitely an international event!

Wow didn’t see this untill know, very nice as usual buddy, Always like your builds and mods, Just a pleasure to see!

That host looks so good with with polished copper, I always wondered why your builds mostly are host mods instead of complete custom build when I always see the lathe, I didn’t know it wasn’t yours, Well I just finished a PGL-111-C housing rebuild I posted the thread this morning, it turned out lovely just as rewarding as a complete custom build, But yeah without a lathe heatsinks and threaded inserts are hard to find, Again that host is very nice and great job on the heatsink, love it!

Man I have some nice diodes just waiting for a special housing, I have drivers from Jordan I have drivers on the way from Astralist, I have stock alloy and brass bars, I have new tooling,
But what I don’t have is enough time with work and all, but I’ll get there I have some great host designes in mind,

Take care!

Last edited:
I am currently working on a new build that I will post a new thread about. I have been holding onto an MS-SSW-II host for about four years. I have one with an NDB7875 in it driven at 2.4 amps to get 3 watts out. These were built to be pressed modules having no set screw in the heat sink. I asked BowtieGuy if he would machine the heat sink to allow the module to slip in and be held with a set screw. Luckly for me, he agreed and I just got it back today. It looks great as he went much further than I asked him to, polishing the heat sink and grinding the module down to fit much better with the aluminum back now fitting perfectly where before it did not. A huge thank you to Jeff for doing all this for me.

The build will be with an NDG7574 diode and a G2 lens. I have a couple of lazeerer's adjustable continuous ground X-Drives. I think I will set one for 2 amps and this host takes two 26650 batteries. I have some personal errands that may make this take longer than this weekend, but I will post it as soon as possible. :thanks:

I am currently working on a new build that I will post a new thread about. I have been holding onto an MS-SSW-II host for about four years. I have one with an NDB7875 in it driven at 2.4 amps to get 3 watts out. These were built to be pressed modules having no set screw in the heat sink. I asked BowtieGuy if he would machine the heat sink to allow the module to slip in and be held with a set screw. Luckly for me, he agreed and I just got it back today. It looks great as he went much further than I asked him to, polishing the heat sink and grinding the module down to fit much better with the aluminum back now fitting perfectly where before it did not. A huge thank you to Jeff for doing all this for me.

The build will be with an NDG7574 diode and a G2 lens. I have a couple of lazeerer's adjustable continuous ground X-Drives. I think I will set one for 2 amps and this host takes two 26650 batteries. I have some personal errands that may make this take longer than this weekend, but I will post it as soon as possible. :thanks:

That’s gonna be really cool, Paul. I can’t wait to see that thing built and in action:drool: that was super awesome Jeff went above and beyond for fit and finish!! His builds do have some impeccable detail.
Today I may put DTRs 490/driver into a host Rich sent me. It was in a Leadlight but the switch began to fail. I’ll post it soon. It belongs in this host anyway :p
SGD:beer:

Keep the current low as those pens have no heat sink. If you want the wavelength stable, you might want to drive it at 100 mA.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks, Billy I appreciate your kind words and I'm glad you like it! :yh:

I'm going to go have a look at your your new build thread right now.

@Paul, thanks, I hope it works well for you, can't wait to see the finished product.

@SGD, don't forget to show us your lasers new home after you get it re-worked.

Hey, Jeff, Paul. She’s built. Cyan can be viewed in Rich’s Host Page:)
SGD:beer: