Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

487 nm. Laser possible ?

see --- i knew it was possible and i'm not not an engineer or laser scientist ... just have a very open and imaginative mind ...(i think ) ... :thinking:

see --- i knew it was possible and i'm not not an engineer or laser scientist ... just have a very open and imaginative mind ...(i think ) ... :thinking:
Yeah, but definitely not the way you were "sure" it would.

sorry, i'm definetly a 'geek' in the making and proud to be :D
have a cocktail ...

Jesus Christ man.

It's one to think to ask something here for the purpose of learning. But to post something like this is beyond stupid. Especially the laser geeks part.

And screw you, we're not laser geeks.

I wouldn't call it violet whatsoever, it's more like azure-blue or cerulean blue ... but I am curious to see your Argon and DPSS blue sexy beams ... got pictures ?

445 looks incredibly violet next to a "real" blue laser, a 473 DPSS or 488 Argon for example. I'd take a picture to show you but my camera is also colorblind.

Plus the 445 diodes have horrendous divergence and beam profiles. The needle thin beam of an argon is about the most sexy laser beam ever. It even makes DPSS lasers look like crap :D

(Care to guess who's doing a monthly burn today? :shhh:)

I wouldn't call it violet whatsoever, it's more like azure-blue or cerulean blue ... but I am curious to see your Argon and DPSS blue sexy beams ... got pictures ?
He means when you compare it side by side with a "real" blue, like when you have a HeNe, to me they seem quite red, but as soon as you put a 650 beside it, it instantly looks more orange than red.

DrSid

Well .. if those two colors will be close enough (almost everything except red+blue), you will get what LOOKS LIKE wavelength in between them. How exactly between then also depends on the power of those two lasers, if they will be of same power, then yes, the color will look more or less like wavelength in between them.

Well .. if those two colors will be close enough (almost everything except red+blue), you will get what LOOKS LIKE wavelength in between them. How exactly between then also depends on the power of those two lasers

This chart is an approximation. A line between two wavelengths shows what colors can be made. More than two wavelengths can be used here, too. Anything within the triangle of three wavelengths is possible.

CIE%201931%20color%20space.png

From left to right: 405, 445, dim 457, 473, 488, and multiline (457 through 514)

SAM_0456.jpg

Last edited:
ah yes ... the 473 looks nicely regal-blue .
where do I get one ?

473 is not hard to find, but it's DPSS so it's a lot more expensive. In the last CNI group buy, 473nm portables started at $350 for 10mW.

Here's a way to DIY 487nm...

You take a 532nm (that's green, for all those who don't know) and you press it in a vice for 24 hours. Roughly every mm you compress it will be equivalent to 3.75934nm, but it's a very imprecise and non-linear scale.

Alternatively, if you want it done quickly, you could grab a 650nm diode, a 532nm module and a 445 diode, melt them together with a blowtorch and then put them in the fridge for half an hour. Pull the new module out and then put over the front a filter of the correct colour. 487nm filters can be bought from ZOMBO for $3.14 each.

Done!

That would have been funnier 3 days ago.. but that horse is already dead I think.

:horse:

As I don't own any working 445 lasers right now I can't take a comparison picture. I think Cyp's picture depicts what I'm trying to say though.

Here's that picture you asked for...
projector023.jpg

Here's a very rough picture of the multiple lines in a multiline argon.

27143f55.jpg

And this is a picture of a 473, as I was trying to fight the divergence back down.

52871d53.jpg