Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445nm output problems. (1w cutter for CNC)

Hello forum. My project was to make a small 1w laser cutter for making solder paste masks, and possibly etching PCBs, etc.

I had ordered this kit this ebayer had, but as it was my first foray into lasers, I may have made some mistakes.
445 Blue 1 Watt Laser Diode Parts Kit | eBay

I tried to exercise static prevention as well as I could. I didn't have a vice, so I had to press in the diode by "walking" around the end of the diode with some channel lock plyers; but I did so in very slight increments.

When soldering on the leads, I used the briefest of brushes with the iron, then secure heatshrink around the solder joints.

I am using an ATX power supply turned bench supply, so the 12+ source shouldn't be an issue.

What is an issue is that I'm only getting this little dot of light out of the set up:

IMG_8242_zps48248b9e.jpg

Here's a bit more of what I'm working with:
IMG_8246_zpsb5acedbd.jpg

IMG_8248_zpsaa25562f.jpg

I tried to find information on what damaged diodes look like, but have been unsuccessful.

I used this pinout as the guide. The short pin is currently not connected to anything.

10.gif

If anyone thinks there may be a better may to go about adding a laser for etching and cutting (I'd like to be able to eventually cut up to 1/4" acrylic, but I think that's a CO2 laser deal), I'm all ears.

I have tried adjusting the pot on the driver board. This little dot of light appears is max setting.

Things

Looks dead to me, either that or it's not above lasing threshold yet. Measure the current it's drawing. If it's dead, it'll get very hot very quickly.

PS: 1W will not be enough to etch PCB's, and seeing as the film used for SMD stencils is almost clear, it probably wouldn't work very well for that either, I've found low powers tend to just melt and deform the stencil instead of nice clean cuts.

Last edited:

Blord

I concur with Thing. The laserdiode is dead, it is basically a LED now. You will see it better by the raw output without the lens.
Running it in the module isn't enough to keep it cool. You will need also a heatsink around the module to prevent high temperature and thus killing the laser diode.

I could always use some sort of white or black film for the masks. Guess it doesn't have to be translucent.

How do you think one of those 20 to 40 watt "bar diodes" would work? How difficult are they to set up?

pic_laser_diode_bars.jpg

Or would a CO2 set up be better?

I concur with Thing. The laserdiode is dead, it is basically a LED now. You will see it better by the raw output without the lens.
Running it in the module isn't enough to keep it cool. You will need also a heatsink around the module to prevent high temperature and thus killing the laser diode.

That's $50 up in no so much as smoke. I do have a heat sink and fan I was using. I took them off when I was trying to sort out why I wasn't lasing.

Does anyone offer pre-housed and pre-soldered/wired modules on here?

Before you march off and fry another diode, get yourself a heatsink to mount that in. Since you're using a CNC type mill or such, you should look into a lab-like heatsink like one of these.

You may be better served just outright buying a completed module. Lasever sells 1W industrial modules for ~$200 or something (shipping is extra, but the modules are pretty nice). See what they can do for you by contacting David. Alternatively, you could see what techhood has too.

:D :D :D!!

Badger, thank you for DTR's web site.

After some discussion I ended up with a 450ma microboosted 405nm diode with a G2 lense. It's burning a cardboard box at ten feet and that's with barely messing with the focus. Once I get this dialed in, it should do beautifully. I look forward to being able to use it to burn designs on wood cases, make my PCB solder paste masks, etc.

The heatsink with the little 40x40x28mm delta fan never even warms up.

Anyone know where to get sheets of the wave length filtering plastic? I would like to add a panel to my cnc set up.

IMG_8254.jpg

247617_4903481349125_1493077504_n.jpg

iflyos

Is there any way you would/could be willing to test your laser on white Depron? Depron is meat tray material.

I ahve built an XY table and am using a 658NM laser with it right now, and while I can cut 6mm black depron no problem, I can't touch white (of course..)

THis is the 5th CNC machine I have added to my shop, and I would love to be able to use it for white foam. I don't need to cut wood, or etch glass..I have other machines for that. I am wanting to add to my R/C airplane building capability with cutting foam...

Thanks,

Tim

Is there any update on this? I want to build my first laser project - using the steppers and platform of DVD rom to make a CNC wood engraver/cutter for thin foam and black plastics.

What lasers are proven to work for this? Any lasers that I can extract from DVD rw/blu ray drives?