Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445nm lasers at Burning Man

I was on 230 and b... i had the led wall setup and did lasershows with a 3 watt green, a coupe of halfwatt greens a 5watt RGB and a 2.5Watt RGB Wednesday, thursday friday and saturday night from there... Also a few 300mW at the petting zoo...
I was there also (tent at 2:45 & Hanoi), but didn't bring a camera - you don't take anything to Burning Man that you care about or want to be working at the end of the week.

Google Earth has a satellite image from this year:
Google LatLong: Hot off the Satellite: Burning Man 2010

I brought a couple of swimminsurfer's ~30mW green pens, but didn't use them much. Maybe next year I'll have a 445 build ready - at least I'd know know to fix it! I saw a lot of 405's (one guy claimed his was 0.9W), but didn't register any as being 445 - they all looked 405 purple to me... The one in the first post definitely looks 445, so maybe I missed it somehow.

ike

I was on 230 and b... i had the led wall setup and did lasershows with a 3 watt green, a coupe of halfwatt greens a 5watt RGB and a 2.5Watt RGB Wednesday, thursday friday and saturday night from there... Also a few 300mW at the petting zoo...

2:30 and b with a 5 watt RGB?! I'm very sorry to hear I missed that... I'd been wandering around all week wondering why there didn't seem to be any RGB shows at Burning Man; I've never actually seen an RGB laser show yet... All I saw crossing the sky were big 532s and the two 445s at... what was it... about 9:00 & Esplanade? I also caught some of a red/green show over at Opulent Temple one night. I guess I should have been checking out more of city... but then, one can't see everything at Burning Man anyway.

As for myself, I was around 4:00 and Esplanade, and was carrying a relatively low-powered 445, much much dimmer than the stationary 445s. I stuck to holding it above my head and always pointing it far above horizontal when I used it.

Last edited:

The one with the orange LED wall and music? The lasers that could be seen across from the other side? Someone stole our bikes in front of that while we were entranced by a fire show there on the last Thursday. I wish I had seen the RGB.

2:30 and b with a 5 watt RGB?! I'm very sorry to hear I missed that... I'd been wandering around all week wondering why there didn't seem to be any RGB shows at Burning Man; I've never actually seen an RGB laser show yet... All I saw crossing the sky were big 532s and the two 445s at camp 'Slutgarden'.

Yeah, I didn't see any of the RGB shows, but those blues were pretty powerful, the beam stretching across the night sky. I was on 8:15 and Cairo. The extent of my lasering was a 50mW focusable greenie I brought along; the mechanical shutter got gummed up along the way, but people thought it was pretty neat to see the beam. Hopefully, if I go next time I'll have a multi-color laser or some other laser apparatus setup.

Last edited:

glaser

Ski goggles work a lot better than chemistry goggles if you ever bring some.

are you serious? i dont think so, but refer to goggles, i'm considering this one, actully, a little bit like ski goggles, any ideas?:confused:

ike

Ski goggles work a lot better than chemistry goggles if you ever bring some.

are you serious? i dont think so, but refer to goggles, i'm considering this one, actully, a little bit like ski goggles, any ideas?:confused:

I think in this thread that quoted phrase was talking about what kind of goggles work for protecting your eyes from the blowing dust at Burning Man in the dusty Black Rock desert of Nevada, not which goggles work for protecting your eyes from harmful laser radiation. Chemistry-style goggles are meant to fend off liquid splashes, whereas ski-style goggles, and ones like these:
Burning Man Goggles, goggles for burning man, desert sand goggles

tend to be what you want for dust, since they usually have a foam and/or rubber gasket, and less direct ventilation for dust to come in through. I've worn a few styles of goggles there, and my chemistry splash goggles got a lot dustier than my other ones.

Yeah, I was talking about chemistry goggles. They have these nice ventilation holes on the edges of the goggles so your view doesn't fog up, but the holes are large enough for playa dust to get inside, especially when there's a lot of wind. Most ski goggles have foam for letting in air, and this blocks the dust a lot better.

IKE: Awesome link by the way. I'm bookmarking that.

LSRFAQ

Please be careful of Black Rock Airport while doing lasers at BM, it does exist :)

It has a tower and ATIS while it is there, very real...

Steve

I found this video of THE Burning Man 2010. Sure looks like a of fun. :) "Awesome Dubstep music in the video too"

At 5:52 in it made me :crackup:

Last edited:
I was reading this thread a couple weeks ago and realized today that one of the internet radio
websites I listen to has a station called Black Rock FM 102.3.
I guess they have a Burning Man Festival music stream.
I like the announcements in between the songs telling you not to camp on the artists green.
Many of the other streams are worth checking out too.

Soma fm
(scroll down to the last station)

Hi-Res sat image (10mb)

@Bionic-Badger Hey thanks for posting this, it was cool reading. :beer:

Last edited:
Hello-

I'm helping build an art car for burningman this year, and I need to decide what types of lasers to put on the car. It will be a giant sheep, and we want it to shoot lasers out of its eyes (into space), and possibly an additional laser or two to illuminate a dance floor (when it's dusty).

What types of lasers would you recommend (power and wavelength)?

Thanks!

Shelby

Hey Slicklasers-

Im working on an art car for burningman this year and I'm working on adding some lasers. I'm curious how visible the lasers are on the playa, and would love some advice from your experience on what I should be looking for. If you have a few mins to chat, please email me at: shelby dot clark at gmail dot com

Thanks!
-Shelby

Hi Shelby,

I have been told that this year they are very Laser Aware, and will be having a special team of people that are going to be making sure people aren't shooting lasers into airspace or people eyes without a proper variance, laser safety operator and FAA Clearance. If you want to do audience scanning, the only easy/legal way is to get an x-laser with the pangolin safety scan lens, and use a power meter before and during the laser exposure to make sure you are not exceeding the MPE. Hope this helps answer your questions. Also if you want a varianced laser projector, I can build the and get you your variance.

Thanks,

Rick