Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445nm build question

the o-like module is fine but most just go for aixiz modules. you can get one with a 445 lense (better beam specs than 405 lense but a little less power, also cheaper) from jayrob when you're ordering your kit. I like the SS host version personally lol.

you will also need allen keys to set the heatsink. A pair of helping hands (a tool) is almost essential for wire soldering. Also, since you cant heat the joints traditionaly without killing the diode, its good to get some flux to wipe on, helps the solder flow onto the joint, since its best to put solder on your iron then touch it to the joint for this. You may want wire but jayrobs drivers come with some attached, so long as you dont mind the driver being close to the diode should be fine. Pliers for wire cutting help.

I recommend the custom focus ring too, apart from focusing it looks alot better, like a continuation of the host compared to something sticking out of it like the conventional focus knob lol.

Multimeter helps too, lets you check your batteries if something goes wrong, also good to check wires are functioning right etc.

That will get you going - just make SURE you review the polarity diagrams on the diodes: the 445s are the same as the 405 BluRays like the PHR.

What current setting are you having your driver set at?

Morgan

Check out the link in my sig for building. It should give you a grounding in what you're looking for... And, no, it doesn't actually cost you $1.99! :D

The module you've linked is 18mm in diameter. This gives better heatsinking than a 12mm Aixiz, if used on it's own. Jayrob's builds usually work around the Aixiz module because the rest of the build provides much better heatsinking by design. If you want to use a Jayrob host, then get an Aixiz, or ask Jayrob if he can provide one.

The, "Easy focus", custom focus ring that Fonduman mentions also stops our fingers form getting burnt! They DEFINITELY will if you don't have this for a 445 of any output.

I would seriously recommend going for a lower power output of quite a bit less than 500mW for a first dabble here. I actually wouldn't recommend a 445nm for a first build at all but it's your choice. These diodes are fiercely powerful and you would do better working up to this output. If you're learning to drive, you don't learn in a Ferrari do you?

If you're one for friendly advice then go for the more usual LOCs or PHRs for a first build. You'll miss all the fun of what is still an impressive laser and have nothing to move up to. Plus, those diodes are a fraction of the price in case you kill one, which is likely if you've not done this before.

I hope you're one for friendly advice.

Good luck,

M
:)

Last edited:

boscoj

what I did was . . .

diode from hakzaw1
micro flexdrive v5 preset @ 850ma from drlava
glass lens/module from drlava

and that's about it . . . don't have a portable host at the moment, soon come

some Arctic Alumina thermal conductive epoxy

4 1.2V 3800 mah NiMh sub c rc car batteries . . .

P1000178.JPG

and a core i7 1366 heatsink with a 12mm hole in it . . .

P1000106.JPG

Last edited:
As far as module confusion, I am honestly just confused. I know what the diode is. I know the lens makes the light the diode produces converge. I know the driver converts DC power from the batteries to DC power for the diode. Beyond that, I get kind of lost.

As far as the the diode, I don't even have it. I am cheap, I just found a group buy going for $39, and that is like $11 cheaper than instant shipping.

As far as a PHR build, I would be interested. However, PHR lasers from ebay are $10 ... so I don't see how it can be cost effective.

As far as diodes to look forward to, I want to know what diodes will be in the 21W Sony Laser projector that is eventually coming out. We just had a massive leap in technology based on one projector. I want another one... preferably on the red end of the spectrum. This 300mw Red barrier is silly now they we are pushing 1W on the blue end.

someone will correct me if im wrong but i think the module holds the diode and driver together so they arent using the wires to be held together

Depends on the build and the module/driver being used. Not all drivers will fit inside an aixiz housing, and not everybody uses aixiz modules either.