Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445nm Build Help?

Hey guys,

I've given it enough thought and may attempt to make my own 445 1W laser in a C6 host. I found a video which explained everything very well but dosen't specify which kind of soldering iron is needed. Anyone have any tips they could give me?

This seems like a fun project and will show me another side to lasers :)

Thanks!
-Alex

Any soldering iron would do. With most of mine, I used a cheap 25W from radioshack. If you aren't sure you will be building lots of laser, a cheap 35-40W from home depot or harbor freight would be fine.

If you think you might use it alot, may be worth looking into a soldering station.

I have the aoyue 937+. I love it. So much i got another for work! There are like 62$ on amazon! I hear the hakko is a great unit! Any questions about it let me know! Glad your going for the builds. Great fun!

I recently got the same, also off of amazon. Haven't gotten a chance to use yet.

Get adjustable heat it comes in very handy. I bought this one and like it a lot. No need to spend tons of money. $25 and you are good to go. FlaminPyro has awesome flux too. grab a few syringes from him and if you need any other recommendations for solder and tools let me know. Im glad you are going to build one bud. Its a lot of fun!
Stahl Tools SSVT Variable Temperature Soldering Station 374 100 | eBay

No cartridges just some rosin core electrical solder and flux is all you need. Some helping hands are a must. $10 on ebay for those.

PS_ I BOUGHT a couple 501b blank hosts i dont need you can have one if you would like. No charge but you will need to buy a heat sink.

Last edited:
Get adjustable heat it comes in very handy. I bought this one and like it a lot. No need to spend tons of money. $25 and you are good to go. FlaminPyro has awesome flux too. grab a few syringes from him and if you need any other recommendations for solder and tools let me know. Im glad you are going to build one bud. Its a lot of fun!
Stahl Tools SSVT Variable Temperature Soldering Station 374 100 | eBay

No cartridges just some rosin core electrical solder and flux is all you need. Some helping hands are a must. $10 on ebay for those.

Hey freefly, thanks for the help. I don't need anything fancy for now. Would the RadioShack one I linked worked? Also where do I grab the rosin core solder :beer:

-Alex

Don't get a 15W iron, get a 30W or get something variable temp, and use only 63/37 or 60/40 solder.

Alan

Would this work? It's cheaper then the other soldering iron :D
Your Shopping Cart

And just to make sure, after I buy this it's ready to work or do I need something to create the solder?

Thanks,
Alex

Would this work? It's cheaper then the other soldering iron :D
Your Shopping Cart

And just to make sure, after I buy this it's ready to work or do I need something to create the solder?

Thanks,
Alex

I don't know, your link is just to an empty shopping cart. You buy your solder separately, the cheap 30W iron I use now I bought at Walmart and it even came with a spare tip and 60/40 solder, but I already also had a supply of solder from Radio Shack. You may want to watch some YouTube videos on soldering and find something to practice on. Also don't forget to buy some heat shrink.

Alan

@Pi

Yikes, sorry about that! Link fixed below:
Sinometer 30 Watts Soldering Iron Kit UL Listed 430°F DIY

@freefly
Yes, thanks! 30W should be better for my needs then!

I'll keep you updated!

-Alex

That looks identical to the one I bought at Walmart that I have been using for more than a year now. If you want something cheap that one should be fine. It works fine for me, it's only my third iron in 35 years, I have had good luck with soldering irons.

Alan

That looks identical to the one I bought at Walmart that I have been using for more than a year now. If you want something cheap that one should be fine. It works fine for me, it's only my third iron in 35 years, I have had good luck with soldering irons.

Alan

Alright awesome! I can't tell if they include "solder" in it. It says the tip is replaceable so im guessing this is where the solder is located but would rather ask.

i may start building after purchasing my car, I want to make sure i don't spend too much each month but if I know this one is good I can buy it later.

-Alex

No solder doesn't go in the tip or the iron, it is separate like a spool of wire. Please watch some soldering tutorials on YouTube.

Alan

This is a playlist that helped me understand the fundamentals of soldering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIT4ra6Mo0s

Hope this helps.

...and I think I just built the laser pointer that you are trying to build. I slightly modified it with a 1.8W laser and driver that runs off of 2 18650 batteries so I also needed the C6 battery barrel extension. I was very pleased with it and it was my first build.

Soldering the driver to the ring was the only problems that I seemed to have. Sometimes the solder would get on the outside of the ring and then not fit properly into the pill. I eventually got it off and it works.