Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445nm 1W+ Dangers

I have been researching some of the dangers of blue light/lasers. Before I began researching this, I would often put my hand into the beam of the laser for brief moments until I felt a heating sensation/pinch (I would allow my hand to be in the beam for a maximum of 2 or 3 seconds, being very careful not to actually burn myself). I was curious and unaware of the dangers then. I'm sure other members have done this before also. Should I have reason to be concerned?

If your hand is okay, no reason to be concerned. Question answered.

Last edited:
Yea, basically the worst that can happen is a burn. Which isn't that bad considering it's a high powered laser. But you'd move your hand away before it would be anything serious.

Actually, I think the worst that can happen is if you set something you're wearing on fire. That would not be good. :p

So is biological damage from a blue laser not a high risk? Thanks

Last edited:
There is no sunburn type damage as 445nm is obviously not in the UV part of the spectrum. These lasers don't cause cancer. Thermal damage (the same thing that happens if you roast your finger over a candle) is possible.

Last edited:
I will find some of the pages where I obtained the information from again here soon. I have found previous threads that also discuss possible biological damage from blue lasers, due to the intensity of the blue light in such a small area. Blue light normally isn't very dangerous to our skin, as the 400-500nm wavelength doesn't have enough energy to disrupt biological structures in most cases. Blue light exposed to skin in such a small area at such intensity surpasses the Maximum Permissible Exposure of the 445nm wavelength. Now with all this being said, how dangerous is it truly? I know you can go online, research the potential dangers of breathing oxygen and find some source claiming our intake of oxygen is a big cause of oxidative damage in our cells or something like that, but this is obviously ridiculous. I just want to know the real risks I accidentally put myself at or if there is no reason to have concern at all. I could also not find the duration of a blue laser that would reach the MPE, but I will continue searching.

Last edited:
63733631-2d74-442d-b213-860130374506.jpg

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

I hope you find what your looking for my friend. But in the mean time please stop lasing yourself. Its one of those common sense things. Anything in the hands of an idiot can be dangerous. Keep that in mind especially of you are the smarter of your friends. The internet is not a safe space. I think we can conclude, we do not want to discuss you topic. Feel free to reference actual science regarding what you find in your search. Regurgitating maybes, kind ofs, what I thinks, he said she say, will be met with flamethrower and trollbegone spray. Just telling it like it is man.

I hope you find what your looking for my friend. But in the mean time please stop lasing yourself. Its one of those common sense things. Anything in the hands of an idiot can be dangerous. Keep that in mind especially of you are the smarter of your friends. The internet is not a safe space. I think we can conclude, we do not want to discuss you topic. Feel free to reference actual science regarding what you find in your search. Regurgitating maybes, kind ofs, what I thinks, he said she say, will be met with flamethrower and trollbegone spray. Just telling it like it is man.

I know putting my hand into the beam was not an intelligent thing to do; however I was unaware of any danger imposed by the laser besides a warm feeling or a slight pinch (I was doing this to see how quickly the laser made my hand feel warm or gave a pinch like feeling). I have never meant to concern anyone or make anyone angry on here. I just feel like many things on the Internet are not reliable because of issues/concerns being blown out of proportion, all based on interpretations of a few studies posted online. I just wanted some opinions from people who are around lasers quite often and know the accurate risks (not blown out of proportion). Sorry for any inconvienience I've caused.

Only risks are slight burns. It's the same as putting your hand over a candle flame.

A thought for moto and anyone thinking about self harm, remember humans have a natural burn/pain reflex that happens before the nerve impulse gets to the brain, such as when you touch a hot anything and yank your hand back without thinking about it, this could cause someone to knock a laser over or off it's placement or drop it if you were holding the laser in your other hand, the point is you want to avoid a secondary injury, the worst being an eye injury to yourself or others.

Last edited:
A thought for moto and anyone thinking about self harm, remember humans have a natural burn/pain reflex that happens before the nerve impulse gets to the brain, such as when you touch a hot anything and yank your hand back without thinking about it, this could cause someone to knock a laser over or off it's placement or drop it if you were holding the laser in your other hand or mouth, the point is you want to avoid a secondary injury, the worst being an eye injury to yourself and others.

BTW were you wearing eye protection when you were burning your hand? Was there anyone else nearby? Was the door locked and were you abusing yourself in any other ways while burning your hand?

For instance, if you were holding the laser in your mouth and burning your left hand while masturbating with your right hand you could lose control as you climax and inadvertently shine the laser into the big mirror that you were watching yourself in and possibly shine the laser into your eye....you have to think about these things and practice safe self abuse.

Is this a forum for discussing lasers or is this forum a place for children to attempt to be witty or funny? And to think these people were calling me out for expressing a concern. This is ridiculous.

For instance, if you were holding the laser in your mouth and burning your left hand while masturbating with your right hand you could lose control as you climax and inadvertently shine the laser into the big mirror that you were watching yourself in and possibly shine the laser into your eye....you have to think about these things and practice safe self abuse.

LMAO, is this from personal experience? :crackup: