Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

441mw - 8X Panasonic BR

Misterwilling has increased the current to 420ma...
and he made me stop the LPM @ 350ma .....

however, looking at my test numbers....

420ma should = 532mw

That's the highest number I've seen for a 8X Blu-Ray....

which is a 250mw peak power diode.

LarryDFW

Last edited:
Two of those collimated and run through a PS3 beamsplitter would be able to pump a small modelocked dye laser and allow you a WHOLE RANGE of colors!!! DROOL!!!

Meatball;

The laser diodes are getting to the power levels where heat management is a factor;

1.96 Watts total minus ~0.5 Watt = 1.46 Watts Heat
And this diode has relatively low voltage. This means it is more efficient.

Here is MISTERWILLING's lab heatsink I used while testing the power.

8xmodule.jpg

This is a host I designed with better heatsinking, for longer operating times (15-30minutes):
uvl4.jpg

LarryDFW

That heatsink is truly massive! I think it might be overkill though. I think the power level you drive your diode at is much more important then how big your heatsink is and how short your duty cycle is (IMO).

--Hydro15

Misterwilling has increased the current to 420ma...
and he made me stop the LPM @ 350ma .....

however, looking at my test numbers....

420ma should = 532mw

That's the highest number I've seen for a 8X Blu-Ray....

which is a 250mw diode.

LarryDFW

Larry, where did you read the Panasonic 8x BR has a 250mw diode?

"Sharp's blue-violet diode, GH04P21A2G, is a 406-nm laser with 210-mW optical power output in pulsed operation with a 10,000-hour lifetime at 75 degrees C. The optical power meets assumed requirements for drives and recorders that record data at 6 times normal speed on two-layered Blu-ray disks."

Source EE Times

Sanyo states 250mw peak power for 8X BR writers.

LarryDFW

Last edited:
And with that, blu-ray diodes have exceeded DVD diodes for power.

Can't wait to get my hand on a few of these, going to make the most insane blu-ray labby :D

LABBY? Why not have that power in your pocket? I just sent my prototype host designed for an 8x diode to the plater. Once I get it back and test is completely I will be offering these hosts in Buy/Sell/Trade Section. This is a very compact host and holds 1 18650 battery and a flex drive. It also allows the diode to be press fit directly into host for maximum heat-sinking efficiency.

As previously stated, we are just beginning to run into more heat while running these 8xs. Heat hasn't been a large issue for blu- rays up till now, and I think that for maximum power, and lifespan for these pricey guys, that a labby style 8x would be able to perform more reliably for much lass conservative duty cycles. Its one thing to have that power in your pocket, but when you get unlimited power source lifetime, and a wildly long duty cycle, I say the labby design proves to be more practical. Just my two cents.

MISTERWILLING;

Sounds like a good design.

Heat transfer should be better with the better interface between the diode and heat sink.

As power increases, heat sink design will become more significant.

I agree with the #18650 battery, although I would probably use a different driver (although the Flexdrive is a good one).

I am building a new 6X in my hard anodized host.

LarryDFW

Meatball;

I also think heat dissipation is the next hurdle.

That is why I am working on copper heat sinks, with slightly larger hosts.

LarryDFW

cust11

All this talk about the 8x makes me want one :(. I guess once I finish this 6x I will have to start saving up for a 8x BR burner

-Mike

I just saw that Fry's had 8X BR drives for $189 this week.

That's the lowest I've seen them.

LarryDFW

With Bing cashback at tigerdirect an 8x is pretty cheap. 2 dollar shipping, BR drive is 210.

15% off is $178.50, $180.50 after shipping. And since I'm in cali no tax from tigerdirect :).

That's the cheapest right now I think. I had a hard time finding the bing cashback for tigerdirect but I DID manage to get it.

I'm picking up 2 more 8x's and combining them with a PBS for a 900mW blu-ray. I think I'm going to try one of the new Lg 8x's.