Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

4.5v Laser can it be powered with 5V and a Resit

Before i try it, a laser that normally takes 4.5v (3 1.5v little batteries)

can i power it with a 9v wall charger if i use a 5v regulator and run it through a variable resistor?
Just want to check before i potential burn it out....

:D

Re: 4.5v Laser can it be powered with 5V and a Res

you mean like a keychain red? not worth it, the diodes are crap and overvolting them will just make it totally useless

Well i have a crap keychain one i want to use to make my motor/mirror contraptoion for now, i just want to be able to playg it in, so i dont go through to manny battereis, will do the job for testing..

would that work thoe.. it takes 4.5v
the plug i have is either 9v or 12v dc output and 5-600ma? i think

if i put it through a 5v regulator with a decent amount of resistance would it be ok to not kill the laser?

next order of scanners im going to get either a red or green module or both.. but for now :D

it should probably work, and make sure to set the pot at max resistance first so u don't blow it right away

when you say pot, you mean the dial on the variable resistor? i got a fairly high one so should be good :)

I havent done a tun of electronic stuff in a while, so just starting to get play with it all again :)

yes, that should work, but make sure with a DMM that its on max resistance, i found out the hard way that some work backwards.

all went well :)
I now have a wall plug powered diode, with adjustable brightness :D

rkcstr

Though it sounds like you already have it figured out... you can do what I did, use one of these LED calculators:

http://www.luxeonstar.com/resistor-calculator.php

I used it with my boost regulator to power a Blu-ray diode since it was a voltage regulator putting out 5V and I needed to drop the extra voltage and limit current.