Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

4.4W 445nm dual diode laser

Arayan

Re: Worlds most powerful handheld 4.4W 445nm

Never thought about pennies and such. Arayan should test it out

I tried with a 2 euro cent coin with the beam focused by a lens. Some smoke arose after 40 sec and after 50 sec I turned off the pointer to avoid excessive heat. The coin had began very very heat but only a little sign remains on it. I want to try again with a better lens and obtain a video.

Did you try to hit some clouds? I can't with my 445nm but the 638nm does it on the lower ones.. looks like the batman sign :p

I want to try it but away from my house... just to be safe against curious people ;)

I tried with a 2 euro cent coin with the beam focused by a lens. Some smoke arose after 40 sec and after 50 sec I turned off the pointer to avoid excessive heat. The coin had began very very heat but only a little sign remains on it. I want to try again with a better lens and obtain a video.

Nice! Maybe you could try doing several duty cycles? Not sure how much it'd cool inbetween, though.

I want to try it but away from my house... just to be safe against curious people ;)

Of course, dont forget to take pictures :)

DrSid

Did anybody tried 'reaching the clouds' with other laser ? This is blue and bad divergence, so it would be equivalent to much weaker green for example. Of course, with this much power you have a lot to spare and you could try using some serious beam expander.

TBH I don't think divergence makes it harder. The only laser I can "often" hit the clouds with has one of those 638nm Mitsubishi diodes running at 415mW.

I guess having a bright dot and a weaker beam helps seeing what's dot and what's beam.

Last edited:

Coins dont work all that well anymore there all alloy's but if you got back pre 70's you may have something...

most good coinage comes from pre 60's even in the post 60's they were playing with alloys becaue people were counter fitting coinage..

You should be able to do the math of the compund you want to melt somehow.. Ya got a sustainable 4W of output is it hot enuf to melt what you want to melt? Maybe some Flux would help... :eek:

Last edited:

ARG

Well, it would probably take more than 4W of heat to melt a penny, and the laser is only producing 4.4W. The transfer won't be 100% efficient either, so only a fraction of the lasers power will be transferred to the penny as heat.

Arayan

Well, it would probably take more than 4W of heat to melt a penny, and the laser is only producing 4.4W. The transfer won't be 100% efficient either, so only a fraction of the lasers power will be transferred to the penny as heat.

I will try to melt the same coin with my 40W CO2 laser :p

Pity it failed but your other thread made my day. Do you by any chance buy all cool lasers lying around LPF? :p

Arayan

Pity it failed but your other thread made my day. Do you by any chance buy all cool lasers lying around LPF? :p

Thanks :D but unfortunately that "laser gun" is not longer mine but I gave it back to AnselmoFanZero ;)

Would you build one of these for someone if they were to pay you the money for all the parts and your time?? Just curious.. as I'd be in heaven if I owned a 4+watt hand-held laser. That things freaking amazing man!!

Excellent job with the build too! Very professional IMO.

Let me know what you think the total cost would be and I might seriously consider it.

Thanks! Can't wait to see a 5-watt hand-held laser.. I'm sure its just a matter of time before one comes around.

ARG

Yes, I can build another for someone if they want. A 2.5W build from someone else (Blord or Lazereer) would be much cheaper (No optics, one less diode, one less driver, no custom host needed, one less lens) The part cost of the laser is not cheap.

It is one of a kind though, and it's amazing being able to see the beam outside on a sunny day. There is nothing quite like it.

I'm sure 5W is possible, I could've ran these diodes at .2A more each most likely, and I could have used a better mirror (This one was from Edmund optics, but there are even better ones) I chose 2A for this to be safe with the diode life, this laser will likely maintain 4.4W for a long time.

Mrcrouse even has a tri-diode host, and 7W is well within the range of possibility using knife edging.

Last edited:

I'd say 6W was possible but that is just my opinion.. :p

ARG

Well, the higher the power the more optical loss. I don't like running diodes that hard either :p
If one diode is already pointed at 90 deg, and you got rid of the wave plate it would be loads more efficient, but with an ugly beam.
It would be possible to get close, but I don't think the 6W mark could be broken with the current 9mm's.

I'd say a 5.5W might be possible if you really push it and use the best optics you can find... maybe we'll get lucky and find some rogue 4W diodes? :rolleyes: