Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

4.2watt 650nm laser

BobMc

I have yet to see a high powered red actually at 650nm. Virtually everything I've metered is either under 642, over 660, or 2mW.

I can’t speak for Rick, but I’m going by what he says and I’m guessing he’s calling them that which the manufacturer is calling them. So variance, I’m sure there some. But 4 watts plus of red, got to be a sight to see. :drool:

BobMc

According to the relative brightness calculator 4000mW of 650nm is about as bright as 213nm of 532nm or 2W of 445nm

If actually 660nm as Cyp indicated it may very well be--as bright as 114mW of 532nm and 1152mW of 445nm.

635nm is a lot brighter 1W of 635nm is about as bright as 4W of 660nm

see: Relative Laser Beam Brightness Calculator: (650nm 4000mw) vs. (532nm 213.58mw)

Interesting, going by Ricks video, I’d love to see it in person. He makes a comment on how bright it is. I’d just like to check it out in person. Think it would be awesome.

Make an offer to Lildutchboy7. He has one, then you can build one yourself with the diode.

Make an offer to Lildutchboy7. He has one, then you can build one yourself with the diode.

I'd be willing to sell, but it is a very tempermental diode from what I've been told, and I have yet to even apply any power to it. So, whoever might buy this diode, please know exactly what you're doing before messing with it. I won't take refunds if you accidentally break it :p

Last edited:

jnrpop

I'd be willing to sell, but it is a very tempermental diode from what I've been told, and I have yet to even apply any power to it. So, whoever might buy this diode, please know exactly what you're doing before messing with it. I won't take refunds if you accidentally break it :p

Looks like Ricks just using the cheap c-mount sink setup for sale at Techhood :D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heatsink-S...ens-LD-Base-/261267070599?hash=item3cd4bb1e87

Using this, and assuming you can just screw the c-mount straight into the sink (Obviously being extremely careful because its basically an open can/open case emitter), then testing and powering the diode up is as standard as a normal diode :drool:

Last edited:
That's a small lab host. I think you meant to say these diodes are not like standard TO can diodes. You have to be exceptionally careful when mounting and driving them.

jnrpop

That's a small lab host. I think you meant to say these diodes are not like standard TO can diodes. You have to be exceptionally careful when mounting and driving them.

Hi Paul, Yes, Ricks using the same for his c-mount sale here, or so i believe :D https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/323096512687?ul_noapp=true

Defiantely have to take care :beer: ,but we do also with normal TO cans as well, especially as there is no "press-fitting" with the c-mounts. Its one screw and don't forget thermal paste!

Last edited:
IF these diodes are too sensitive to abuse and fail easily, that concerns me, are they? Maybe that's why he wants to sell all of them to one person he would trust not to kill them.

Last edited:
You wouldn't like them Chris, the divergence is awful, just look at how wide the beam is to start, also as you know 660nm is no where near as visible as 638nm.

I do like the deep red 660nm, but only in a nice tight beam.

It makes me nervous when someone wants to sell all their diodes at one time to one person. Especially these diodes. I could see myself buying one, maybe. But, all five..........I would have to likely build them into handhelds for sale. That is a Major investment and work to sell at least four of them.

300 dollars each, he has six of them. I would only use a diode like this with a large lens to get that divergence down.

Looking at that long FL c-mount housing I was thinking it could be clipping, but if the diodes have a FAC lens right in front of the emitter then the beam shape will be much better, still 660nm is not as visible.

Anyway I found a video styro posted about his 5W red.

Last edited:
I almost bought Styro's, should have. I could buy a couple of these red diodes, but six of them is a big chunk of money.