Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

3W Laser 66 Build Amazing !

So i build another cool laser 66 today aww its nice
this time am using green led :yh:

So i got a driver and the diode and i was playing around with the potentiometer and i adjusted it to 3.5W
i saw it was doping so i adjusted the potentiometer back to 2.4A / 3.1W :undecided:
its not getting hot at all amazing !

Attachments

• IMG_6861.JPG
    IMG_6861.JPG
    526.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Wow what diode is that? That's definately nice, I bet you used a lot of thermal compound heatsinking. 3W damn!!! I feel mine is hot like in 10 seconds (my first fail build), did you feel the same thing when building mine? (Bet you built it also with thermal compound if I'm rite :D

Thanks,

Edit: ohhhhh it's a NDB7879 got it.

Last edited:
It gets warm after like 45 seconds i did use a lot of thermal hahha :pop:

Which one? I wish mine was like that, in my first build it's untouchably hot after 7-8 seconds. If yours were 45 sec with 3W, bet mine might be over a min :p.

I used a 1.5A x-drive with M140, power should be about 1.8-1.9W but it shouldn't be that hot, any tricks you use to fix that?

Last edited:
So i build another cool laser 66 today aww its nice
this time am using green led :yh:

So i got a driver and the diode and i was playing around with the potentiometer and i adjusted it to 3.5W
i saw it was doping so i adjusted the potentiometer back to 2.4A / 3.1W :undecided:
its not getting hot at all amazing !

What diode and what host are you using?

Looks like a pen...what driver fits in there :)

What diode and what host are you using?

Looks like a pen...what driver fits in there :)

All drivers fit what i do i use a blade to minimize the driver to fit perfect any diode will fit see images what diode i used :)

Last edited:
Thanks. The only problem of course is run time. Stick a high powered diode in and you will eventually burn your hand! :yabbem:

I wonder if these are popular. What I would like to find are some wicked or jetlaser like hosts.

To be honest Id be a little cautious with the run times if its not getting hot quickly. You dont have much in terms of heat sinking, so it should get warm very quickly at those currents. Also remember that thermal paste still has a very low thermal conductivity somewhere around 7 Wm-1K-1 as opposed to Al and Cu at ~ 200 and 400 Wm-1K-1 respectively. If the module was loose when you put it together and you used thermal paste to fill the gap, this may be the reason. If that was the case, Id suggest some indium foil, or perhaps copper or aluminium foil instead. You can then apply a very very thin layer of the thermal compound between the foil and the case.

If not you may drastically reduce the life of your diode. :beer:

Gabe

To be honest Id be a little cautious with the run times if its not getting hot quickly. You dont have much in terms of heat sinking, so it should get warm very quickly at those currents. Also remember that thermal paste still has a very low thermal conductivity somewhere around 7 Wm-1K-1 as opposed to Al and Cu at ~ 200 and 400 Wm-1K-1 respectively. If the module was loose when you put it together and you used thermal paste to fill the gap, this may be the reason. If that was the case, Id suggest some indium foil, or perhaps copper or aluminium foil instead. You can then apply a very very thin layer of the thermal compound between the foil and the case.

If not you may drastically reduce the life of your diode. :beer:

What's the advantage of using indium foil rather than copper? Is its thermal conductivity even higher?

i forgot the batteries were not charged hahahaha the laser is getting hot after 40 seconds :D