Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

301 Laser Output Test by LPM

tommy

Laser Power Meter is the only way to check laser output. you can't tell any differences from 50mw to 100mw.

301 laser is the most popular laser style in the market, price is different, from $10 - $20. now let's check it out. pls note this video is only for those lasers. it doesn't mean your laser on hand has similar output, even though they have exactly same host.

seems i can't insert a youtube here, so here is the link:
https://youtu.be/u34oLAmV_kY

tommy

the 301 green one is a little bit unstable. some can be up to 98mw, but some are low.

tommy

thank you BowtieGuy. so i just need to past the last few codes of the url. i've learned that skill now:beer:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
You're welcome.
Yes that's all you need, then insert it between the YouTube symbols.

tommy

i think i should write the test result here for someone who dont have enough time to finish the video.

the result is:
405nm violet: 112mw
450nm blue: 1.2 watt
532nm green (2 lasers ): 80mw and 68mw
650nm red: 200mw

You dont need a special LPM to measure the IR, yours will do fine. ;) You just need an IR filter. If you have an old web cam you can take it apart and remove the "blueish" filter before or after the lens - depends on the camera. Put this in the path of the beam before it hits the LPM and you will get a lower output reading, if IR was present.:beer:

Edit: Or get something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCs-Optica...ilter-for-camera-astronomy-lens-/182133249593 It has 95 % transmission in the visible, but only 1 % in the near IR from 700 - 1050 nm. Even if the transmission is slightly higher at 1064 nm (the lasing wavelength of the Nd:Yag crystal before the doubler) it will probably still be enough to block almost all of the light.

Alternatively you could try this one it transmits 2 % at 1064: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-25mm-C...824868?hash=item19d40d50e4:g:tPoAAOSwVcFXOrkA To be honest though I think it will be exactly the same as the filter above :beer:

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
I bought 3 violet laser pointers on ebay recently, the ubiquitous pen for $2, a laser 301 with the exploding star cap for $5.99 and an un-designated laser pointer out of Malaysia with the dubiously long auction title listing "405nm purple Violet Focasing Laser Beam Pointer Gun Transmiter Device Focus Pen", for $9.

Unlike the 301 model, this latter laser came with an accurate safety label of < 200 mw, a jewellery style heavy cardboard box with magnetic latching lid, together with a cheap battery and charger.

If the violet laser 301 is truly ~100 mW of pure 405nm light, with no IR and I don't see any reason to suspect any, then from observing both of their beams side-by side I'd say the non-descript laser is about 150 mW, as it is noticeably brighter, by about 1/3.

I could not find any info on this laser before I bought it, so I bought both this laser and the no frills 301 model in case it was a lemon, but it actually turned out the leader in my head-to-head comparison.

I couldn't find any info on it but I hopefully now have illuminated the issue for any potential buyers out there stuck between the two. Although I'd still recommend buying the laser 301, simply for the easy attachment of a star cap.

Last edited:

diachi

I bought 3 violet laser pointers on ebay recently, the ubiquitous pen for $2, a laser 301 with the exploding star cap for $5.99 and an un-designated laser pointer out of Malaysia with the dubiously long auction title listing "405nm purple Violet Focasing Laser Beam Pointer Gun Transmiter Device Focus Pen", for $9.

Unlike the 301 model, this latter laser came with an accurate safety label of < 200 mw, a jewellery style heavy cardboard box with magnetic latching lid, together with a cheap battery and charger.

If the violet laser 301 is truly ~100 mW of pure 405nm light, with no IR and I don't see any reason to suspect any, then from observing both of their beams side-by side I'd say the non-descript laser is about 150 mW, as it is noticeably brighter, by about 1/3.

I could not find any info on this laser before I bought it, so I bought both this laser and the no frills 301 model in case it was a lemon, but it actually turned out the leader in my head-to-head comparison.

I couldn't find any info on it but I hopefully now have illuminated the issue for any potential buyers out there stuck between the two. Although I'd still recommend buying the laser 301, simply for the easy attachment of a star cap.

405nm lasers do not emit IR. They use direct emission diodes.

As for judging power - eyeballing it is never accurate. Especially when comparing with an already unknown power.

Do you have a link to the "non-descript" laser?

Reactions: GSS
Laser Power Meter is the only way to check laser output. you can't tell any differences from 50mw to 100mw.

301 laser is the most popular laser style in the market, price is different, from $10 - $20. now let's check it out. pls note this video is only for those lasers. it doesn't mean your laser on hand has similar output, even though they have exactly same host.

seems i can't insert a youtube here, so here is the link:
https://youtu.be/u34oLAmV_kY
I'm a little late to the party...
Just saw that video...:eek:
Tommy you are not testing the Lasers correctly...IMO
You do not stick the laser head into the LPM's sensor
head if you want accurate readings.

Jerry

I noticed that too. You want to keep your test laser back at least 10 inches. Putting the laser inside the thermopile gets heat from the laser diode and heat sink. It will give you an erroneous high reading.

405nm lasers do not emit IR. They use direct emission diodes.

As for judging power - eyeballing it is never accurate. Especially when comparing with an already unknown power.

Do you have a link to the "non-descript" laser?

Here's the link, I would like to know the true power output instead of eyeballing it, but I'd bet my hat that it's about 150 mW. Surprisingly brighter than the laser 301 for the same money, once you factor in the free charger and battery. It's the better bang for the buck.

405nm purple Violet Focasing Laser Beam Pointer Gun Transmiter Device Focus Pen

Last edited:
There is no way of knowing beforehand what the output power of that laser is. You also need to be able to speak Chinglish, as there is no such thing as a green violet laser. They often misspeak when describing items for sale. It is likely a 405nm violet laser with the output power somewhere between 50 mW and maybe 100 mW. Don't expect anything bright as this wavelength is barely visible in powers up to 500 mW. It is in the near UV range.

tommy

put the laser close to the sensor is mainly to show what laser is testing. i'm not chasing high number. and our lasers are claimed lower output than the test. i think the number doesn't really matter, as long as it doesn't have great differences. the laser pointer is a whole thing, with laser diode, host, driver, lens, and different wavelength and power. just my personal opinions. :beer: