Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"300mW" Greenie-$155

Benm

How is this Focalprice in general?

It looks like another DX/KD idea, but is it reliable at all?

One phrase from their return policy is a gem:

No, Focalprice.com does not pay the return shipping cost for defective products. We are not responsible for product defects, because we do not manufacture the products we carry.

I can imagine how something similar would work when you buy a brand new BMW at a dealership and it breaks down on the way home... "sorry, we did not actually make that car - please tow it all the way to germany and back - on your own expense!"

300 mW for $155 seems very unlikely in any case..

Look at the description as well. It says "MAX power LESS than 300mW. So, it could actually be anything from 0mW to 300mW.

That return policy seems to be wierd, as Benm said. I'd stay away from this. cool look of the laser tho. :D

Ace82

And the RPL look alike has no power rating. Don't ask don't tell. :-/

I would say scam.

They do have a 30 day money back guarantee:
30 days money back Guarantee

30 days money back guarantee, if you are not completely satisfied with our products or service, please contact us, we'll exchange or refund money!

Things

Its a dead giveaway its fake. A 300mw laser would require a c-mount pump diode of atleast 2 or so watts, your not gonna get enough power out of a single battery to run that. A 2W> pump diode is gonna get hot FAST, which would require a TEC, which requires more power for itself. The fact that they say its MAX 300mw or less, means it could be 2mw, and you cant get onto them about false advertising.

The site also looks ALOT like the DX site. While I don't think it would be a "scam" as such, since the laser would probably arrive to you and work, but its _NOT_ 300mw.

Things said:
...atleast 2 or so watts, your not gonna get enough power out of a single battery to run that.

A 2W diode requires ~4W of power to run. Granted that one battery will probably have to be lithium, but this seems to be the case here anyway. There are plenty of flashlights for example that operate on one battery that use 4W or more power. I have a 12W myself that runs on just one 18650. The battery life isn't stellar, but it's not impossible either.

Not to mention a real RPL uses just one battery.

Things said:
A 2W> pump diode is gonna get hot FAST

A two watt diode will emit about 2 watts of waste heat. A 3W LED probably gives off more heat than a 2W diode.

Things said:
A 2W> pump diode...would require a TEC

But even a real RPL at 425mW doesn't utilize a TEC :-/

I'm not saying it's not a fake, but I would have given the price as reason enough.

iewed

Even if this thing can't output 300mW (Never expected it to), if it has a 2W pump diode and a cheap crystal set-up, $155 isn't a bad price.

Also, this thing does run off of an 18650, and looks kind of like a mini-Kryton.

Benm

Indeed, its very well possible to construct a laser that puts out 300 mW in that form factor from that battery, but not for $155 - at least as far as i know.

Question remains how it actually performs.. if it puts out 200 mW its still a great deal for the price, but it might as well be 100 or 50 - who knows.

The one without power rating looks like the kind DX and KD sell too, but those are available from 50 to 200 mW (advertised) and all look exactly the same.

If I can afford it a little later i will buy it for the sake of the forum  ;D, if it does seem REALLY good i will send it to some one with a LPM to test it  ;D

Edit: I have promised to buy some things from certain people, so i will proceed and fulfill my promises, then i will attempt to save for this to test :cool:
;DConnor ;D

Benm

That would be very interesting - i sure hope you don't bite a bad bullit on it though. If it turns out to put out 200 mW or so, it still is a great deal so, so i'm looking forward to the review!

I have a similar model Spymodex, (all black), it did ~100+ mW & was rated 150 mW but has switch issues, and would also not maintain the high output for many seconds. I would not say it's worth the price. Anyway I didn't pay what they ask for it but it is possible to get a small cheap unit that will briefly peak at over 175 mW (IR included), but still not a quality unit. I believe some crystal sets are particularly efficient and the IR pump diode is not costly to get about a watt, so at 20 % efficiency a couple of hundred is possible, and at 1.5 watt 300 is possible in a few rare cheap units.