Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

300 mW CW 650 nm Cmount diode... for $4?

Hiemal

Hey guys, I was derping around on eBay a few days ago and also bid upon a cmount 650 nm diode.

Well, I didn't win it, but apparently something had happened, and now the same diode is being sold, via Second Chance offer for $4.

$4. For 300 mW of 650 nm in a cmount package?... And I think it could go higher since this is its CW rating?

Whatcha guys think?

It's this one specifically;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261011130520?ssPageName=STRK:null:IT#ht_2645wt_1185

Last edited:

DJNY

What do you want with a C-mount multimode? :thinking:

NIX

i was the person who bought the c-mount diodes 3 of them about $4 each
sounds too good to be true the seller has had 93 bad feedbacks in the last month and getting more everyday so i dont have my hopes up would probably have to get refund through paypal within 45 days

Yeah there is really nothing you can do with this. If you had a broken C-Mount based labby, or broken C-Mount based 473, ect based handheld, then fine. Other than that....? Better to buy a LPC.

Its not really to good to be true.

Last edited:

AUS

You can get C mount labby style hosts fairly cheap like this one. Its only 33x33x80mm (so an inch-ish square x 3" long ish) and I'm sure you could hand held mount it if you wanted to.

But yes, that one sounds too good to be true and sounds like its a dodgey seller.

NIX

yes i have ordered c-mount host but diodes will probably never show up

Up to 3A (actually 4A max if heatsinked). It is a constant voltage driver so current is determined by the load.... So shouldn't really be used on a laser diode.

Last edited:

AUS

Yes I was going to say it has a constant current setting, they tell you to short the output and adjust the current setting. Still it's physically a little large and probably better suited to a phatlight or high current LED or something than a laser diode (although maybe suit the 9 mm 455's)?

That private feedback is fishy. Why would eBay give that option?

ebay said:
Private Feedback - This member, duotrade237, has decided to make his/her Feedback comments private. Feedback can still be left for this user and the Feedback ratings left are shown above in summary format. Learn more about private Feedback.

eBay has really done a lot of cruddy things to the buyer lately. You can't see who you are bidding against anymore either, so shill bidding is through the roof.

I think eBay realized they couldn't control it, so they just hid it.

Basically, I simply won't buy from someone who has their feedback hidden. I don't know why anyone would. You are just begging to get ripped off.

This seller has about 50% positive feedback for the last 6 months and about 10% positive feedback in the last month.

You'd have to be trying to lose money to order from him/her.

EDIT: just found this...

So Why Allow Private Feedback? - The Real Reason

We believe that the main, and possibly real reason why "Private Feedback" is allowed is to protect eBay from threats of legal action.

If a member gets a negative feedback and complains, he is told that he can take his feedback private. If he chooses not to, eBay have a legal defence against any claim for continued defamation, as the member complaining exercised his option not to remove the offending comment, and his case would fail, or at least be severely hampered.

Think about it, if you were running eBay, wouldn't you try to build some protection into your system to prevent a member suing you for million of pounds or dollars, and costing you many thousands in legal fees, especially when you are hosting millions of auctions daily, with millions of unknown, amateur, unprofessional and unpredictable "members", and for some auctions your total fees received may only be a few pence or cents?

Nowhere else have we seen this argued, yet believe it is the main reason for the existence of this feature. eBay will of course apply spin so that it appears that it exists for the protection and benefit of their members.

Last edited:

NIX

these are the best laser hosts i found
Police 4.8V Waterproof Xenon Flashlight (4 x D-Cell) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme and
TrustFire TR-Y1 139-Lumen White LED Jewelry Flashlight (Cree XLamp XP-E 1 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
does anyone else have any good cheap ideas

532nm 200mw pointer- build cost $50 with batteries
532nm fat beam green 80mw c-mount lab style $80
650nm fat beam red lab style $40
405nm 500mw uv pointer - build cost $70
445nm 1.2w blue pointer maglite style- build cost $130
445nm 1.5w jeweler style host pointer - build cost $145
and alot of lesser powered red green and uv lasers