Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2W 808nm diodes

Why did you buy them? Do you have any intended purpose other than a 2W laser?

They are surplus diodes, probably not good enough for DPSS pumping. They are also multimode, so you won't be getting a good beam from them at all. They are IR, and will be very dim to completely invisible.

Those diodes are also from Heruur, or Chris. Some people have had issues, some have had no problems at all (I'm part of the latter.)

They might be fun to play around with if you know what you are playing with and how to protect yourself but not much more.

Why did you buy them? Do you have any intended purpose other than a 2W laser?

They are surplus diodes, probably not good enough for DPSS pumping. They are also multimode, so you won't be getting a good beam from them at all. They are IR, and will be very dim to completely invisible.

Those diodes are also from Heruur, or Chris. Some people have had issues, some have had no problems at all (I'm part of the latter.)

They might be fun to play around with if you know what you are playing with and how to protect yourself but not much more.

Indeed. You should have bought a c-mount 808nm diode for some serious power...

Of course if your building a DPSSL..
..which you may well be doing?

5000mw 808nm laser diode with fast Axis Lens | eBay

Edit: Check out their shop they have some good things actually.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Snoc-Electronics?_trksid=p4340.l2563

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nd-yvo4-K...aultDomain_0&hash=item20b88a2f46#ht_500wt_842

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Snoc-Elect...d=352374281&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ND-YAG-an...aultDomain_0&hash=item1c1af46c93#ht_550wt_973

Last edited:
Honestly I couldn't say... if no one here has bought them then its up to you to do a review

I guess I will do a review on them once they come.

And no I didn't have a specific purpose for them, was thinking about attempting a dpss someday but not anytime soon. Mainly wanted to build an IR laser just to see what they are like and I thought this was an affordable way to do it. If they are of good quality maybe they can be pushed past 2W, we will see when I get a chance to test them.

I know about the low visibility and the dangers that come with this and I do have safety glasses for this wavelength.

Last edited:
I guess I will do a review on them once they come.

And no I didn't have a specific purpose for them, was thinking about attempting a dpss someday but not anytime soon. Mainly wanted to build an IR laser just to see what they are like and I thought this was an affordable way to do it. If they are of good quality maybe they can be pushed past 2W, we will see when I get a chance to test them.

I know about the low visibility and the dangers that come with this and I do have safety glasses for this wavelength.

Buy some of pontiacs copper aixiz modules those 2W's get very hot.

I thought about that and am going to be putting at least 1 in a Eghemus host hopefully that will be enough heat sinking.

ARG

I thought about that and am going to be putting at least 1 in a Eghemus host hopefully that will be enough heat sinking.

Eghemus's hosts are beautiful, definitely my next project :D

Eghemus's hosts are beautiful, definitely my next project

c8305167.jpg

Dont they look sexy!:drool:

Eghemus took this picture and sent it to me yesterday to tease me

They generate less than a third of the heat of a 445 run at 1.8A. If copper isn't necessary for 445 (and it isn't) then it isn't for this diode, either.

Last edited:
I also have a few diodes from heruur, they're probably underspec but I succesfully pumped a crystal set out of a 5mW pointer. I got easily ~70mW out. I didn't run it at full power but I forgot at what current I set it.

:wave:My diodes shipped yesterday and should be here tomorrow according to USPS.:wave:

Last edited:
Did you get the diodes? How are they? just checking to see if you found a good source. thanks

Well I got them but they didn't work out for me that well

Neither got over a few hundred mW and I tried a few different drivers and different milli amps.