Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2W 445 DTR Frankenstein Ultrafire RL-2088 Handheld Host

Re: 1.8W 445 DTR Frankenstein Ultrafire RL-2088 Handheld Host

That laser NEEDS to be in the "laser hall of flame" :)
Awesome!! Even "I" will be bummed out if it ever dies. Hope it never does of course:)

BTW.. Love the chuckle near the beginning of the vid.
:evil::eg:EVIL...just pure EVIL:eg::evil:

Last edited:

DrSid

Dude those are some serious data. We need to update the curves ! Could you measure current and voltage too ?

Not to go off topic, but you have the same hands as I do. Its kind of creepy. You even have that little tuff of hair on the side. How do you do such tight work with those hams? I dont know if the iron work screwed up my hands, but there is no way I could do half the work you do.

Thanks for attempting to kill the diode. You are a true laserist. I hope with all that heat sinking it will stay alive.

Benm

There seems to be no end in what these diodes can do, and i'm quite surprised by it all.

Getting one watt out of them stably seemed like a long stretch in the beginning, but now they are running continously around the 2 watt mark. I wonder where this will end - 2 watts achieved without TEC so far, how far will these things go in labbies? I wonder if anyone will be able to make 3 watts using TEC at some point.

I suppose it will happen eventually as prices on these diodes go down, making people more willing to risk killing them to find out the limits.

New Casio projectors are coming in the near future. Hopefully they will have an even more robust diode.

DTR

Not to go off topic, but you have the same hands as I do. Its kind of creepy. You even have that little tuff of hair on the side. How do you do such tight work with those hams? I dont know if the iron work screwed up my hands, but there is no way I could do half the work you do.

Thanks for attempting to kill the diode. You are a true laserist. I hope with all that heat sinking it will stay alive.

That is a little creepy.:undecided:

p1012033.jpg

There seems to be no end in what these diodes can do, and i'm quite surprised by it all.

Getting one watt out of them stably seemed like a long stretch in the beginning, but now they are running continously around the 2 watt mark. I wonder where this will end - 2 watts achieved without TEC so far, how far will these things go in labbies? I wonder if anyone will be able to make 3 watts using TEC at some point.

I suppose it will happen eventually as prices on these diodes go down, making people more willing to risk killing them to find out the limits.

Not going to get much more out. There is only 250mA more that I can go before the diode shuts off. Notice how I said shut off not blow. It is amazing. The other problem is after 1.6A you get less mW for every mA(efficiency) you put in it. This has been the most efficient diode I have had. That is why I chose it for this build. It was in a MXDL previously giving 1670mW @ 1.5A. The same host with the same driver set the same with another diode is now only putting out 1500mw. I have noticed a great variation with the diodes that I have gotten.

Anyway here is what happens right above 2A

Trying to kill an A140 with 2.1A of current.:eg:

It looks like it starts to dim around 1.8W. Interesting. Thats a crazy diode. I cant wait for the green version.

DTR

It looks like it starts to dim around 1.8W. Interesting. Thats a crazy diode. I cant wait for the green version.

I was thinking the green diode projectors that are being developed and a I am suspect that a green diode would not need to be as powerful as the blue based on the visibility of green. Could they not provide the same visible light with say 400mW green or something like that compared to the 1W ones that are in the Casio projector? Not to say 400mW green diodes would not be sweet. I know I would love to have one.

DTR

I did said 1W vs 400mW. So if we could effectively double them it would be 2W vs 800mW. And oh yea a 600-800mW green diode would be so sick.;)

DTR

Dude those are some serious data. We need to update the curves ! Could you measure current and voltage too ?

I want to see how long this will run @ 2W so I turned it down so that it is closer to 2W but still over. I am @ 1720mA with a peak of 2015mW. Check out the end of the video I check the current with my DMM.

This is how it is going to stay till the death of the diode.

Last edited:

jayrob

Of the two videos @ over 2 Watts, the first one seems to be the best setting...

At 1750mA's, it still only dropped 50mW's in 2 minutes. Same as the 1720mA setting...

And the higher setting stayed over 2 Watts for a 3 minute run! That's amazing!

I just saw this amazing build....All I can say is this is the best "Giant laser Host" I have ever seen...and I want one so bad!!!!!!

Hopefully in the future my build skills will improve and when I have money I can experience something like this as well...

:drool: :drool: :drool: