Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

$28 JDSU Argon head- how difficult to test and get operational?

I will go back and find the eBay ad but I am pretty certain they said it was in working condition when removed from whatever it was assimilated into. Not only is the cord cut but the vent hose is as well. Also, the cord does not look like an OEM cord on other JDS units I've been reviewing, it has a section revealing the bare mesh outer ground plane about 6" long and has some areas of extra insulation as if it was where the cord passed through something else. I don't know what these may have been built into but it does look like it was mounted into some other device. There are what appear to be some bracket type mount scuffs circumferentially on one end as well. Unfortunately my gut tells me everyone is correct and it is broke. I primarily bought it assuming it would be, thinking $28 was worth the education I got from tearing it apart. I just bought that 561 hand held from Zraffleticket and after it arrived I realized he was also selling an argon. As it turn out it is a JDS 20mw unit as well, complete with PSU. I may get it and eventually try to use that PSU for this one.

IsaacT

The one he is selling is a 2201. You have a 2214. You should check Sam's laser FAQ to see if they are compatible. Usually there is a PSU with the same number as the Argon head and that is what you are supposed to use.

Yeah, I did read Sam's FAQ's regarding this and IIRC the 21xx series are compatible. I will double check but that's what I remember.

Just curious if anyone has ever seen a PSS ruby rod laser built or owned by an LPF member what was reviewed or showcased. I will check the search function but just off hand I'm curious if anyone following this thread knows much about them. While reading Sam's FAQ I stumbled onto that section and did a little reading. It really interests me because I remember when I was in grade school The first time I ever heard about a real laser it was a ruby rod laser. For many years I always thought the only way to make a laser was with a gemstone and then was surprised to find later there were hundreds of ways to do it. I still have this nostalgic view of ruby rod lasers and have always wanted to either build one or buy one. The good rods appear crazy expensive though.

I was going to build one but my pocketbook screams for mercy at the thought. Most PSS lasers are YAGs now. Ruby parts are scarce and more expensive. I like them a lot though and built one long ago with official parts, but home DIY is quite a task. Ruby is a beautiful color, so it's a shame you can't look at it directly. They're also a bit harder to make than YAGs as well due to having a high threshold to get lasing.

daguin

Yeah, I did read Sam's FAQ's regarding this and IIRC the 21xx series are compatible. I will double check but that's what I remember.

Just curious if anyone has ever seen a PSS ruby rod laser built or owned by an LPF member what was reviewed or showcased. I will check the search function but just off hand I'm curious if anyone following this thread knows much about them. While reading Sam's FAQ I stumbled onto that section and did a little reading. It really interests me because I remember when I was in grade school The first time I ever heard about a real laser it was a ruby rod laser. For many years I always thought the only way to make a laser was with a gemstone and then was surprised to find later there were hundreds of ways to do it. I still have this nostalgic view of ruby rod lasers and have always wanted to either build one or buy one. The good rods appear crazy expensive though.

Get in touch with "Eidetic" over in the other forum.
IIRC, he has a working ruby

Peace,
dave