Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

250W halogen bulb meets cardboard!

Things

I was bored, so I decided to burn some stuff!

Much more powerful than the WL torch (This is 250W), but the only problem is I dont have the special focuser or reflector they use, so its pretty much just straight from the output  :cool:

Very freakin bright! I had to put sunglasses on the camera ;D

[media]http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=vYDXGFGfziE[/media]

(Still processing, may not work just yet)
:D

Things

It would have if I left it there long enough, but I was kinda avoiding it, since it was in my garage, with no water on hand :p

Switch

rocketparrotlet said:
Now try that with a fresnel lens...

Ultimate photonic destruction.

-Mark
Or a regular lens...it focuses better. :p

Things

Just gotta make sure its all glass, this thing heats up almost everything!

Things

I wouldnt say much, most of the emission would be in the IR range. Its metal halide and those arc-type bulbs that emit alot of UV.

now if only they made a lens that focused all of that light into a laser...
why isnt it possible to make a lens like that?

Things

Cause the light isnt coherent (One single wavelength), so all the photons are all over the place, not in order (coherence)

if it was that easy, It would have been done already lol.

Also, the area of the bulb that creates the light is HUGE compared to a laser, do even if you did get it focused into some sort of beam, the dot would still be the size of the filament in the bulb.

Switch

And besides 250W is the consumption.The actual output is lower.Bulbs and LEDs are rated by power consumption while lasers are rated by output. :p Good to know it's cancer safe. :D

Things

250W into a light bulb means you'd get 250W total in heat and light, since there is not really any crystals or anything to reduce the output.

Cool, I have a surefire 6p defender with a 380 lumen lamp installed, unfocused I can pop balloons and get stuff to smoke. My dad seems to think that you can just focus the light into a laser....he doesn't get it though. There was a guy who did a DIY on popsci, he built a spotlight so powerful he could light up a house from miles away. He had to install a uv filter because even indirect exposure he got sun burn.

Things said:
Cause the light isnt coherent (One single wavelength), so all the photons are all over the place, not in order (coherence)

if it was that easy, It would have been done already lol.

Also, the area of the bulb that creates the light is HUGE compared to a laser, do even if you did get it focused into some sort of beam, the dot would still be the size of the filament in the bulb.
Coherence is not one single wavelength...
Monochromatic means one single wavelength. Incoherence means that the photons do not travel in line with eachother.

LEDs are monochromatic (red, blue, etc.), but not coherent.

Doesn't the Torch use a 14W bulb?
I have a 10W 12V bulb that i plan to overdrive... ::)

Ace82

Things said:
It would have if I left it there long enough, but I was kinda avoiding it, since it was in my garage, with no water on hand  :p

Now what kind of a pyro are you? That's why you need shoes... to stomp it out, not to throw at it (or Bush) ;D

Now go do it again but lets see some flames [smiley=evil.gif]

Just kidding ;D

I love photonic destruction! [smiley=evil.gif]