Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

250mW of Red face

:eek: im officially taking a time out, as my obsession to learn and succeed here has, for the moment, failed miserably. An unhealthy amount of time and $ has been spent reading, searching, shopping, waiting, LOL. My frustration has peaked today because i bought and tried to take apart a dorcy LED like the one on Kenoms DIY red vid. Poor Kenom, I probably ruined any other noobs chances at getting help from Ken in the future, by blowing his mind today with noob questions and PM lag. And on top of that, im sure my 18 month old son will forget he even has a father soon.Kenom was using a dorcy jr cuz its already set up with no need for a seperate driver. I have 250 mW red that pushes 350mA, with 4.5V. So I figured, ill get regular size Dorcy 4.5V 3xAAA, and follow Kenoms vid. not the same thing. here is my setup a 22x open can 350mWpeak diode module with driver already connected. New Diodes, these babies arent even in use in dvds yet. so the guy I got em from has them driven and tested. here is what it looks like. http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/pule-182/DSC_0107.jpg
I really want this to be a pointer, not an altoids box or the like. heres the dorcy i bought
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/pule-182/DSC_0163.jpg
same insides as the Jr pictures here
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/pule-182/DSC_0165.jpg top end like in Kenoms video
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/pule-182/DSC_0169.jpg bottom end of guts( battery pack contact)

Any who can help me figure out the best way to use this LED light running my own driver and still incorporate the dorcy supplied switch?
4.5 v worth of AAA's was reading 4.02v at opposite ends of the battery pack, and at the top end of the light where the led is im only getting 3.2v thats at least 1.3 V drop from power source to led and there new lithiums!! can i lose all that resistance and still incorporate the nice clicky switch on this?
If not anyone wanna buy an open can mod with a driver a brand new dig multimeter and a brand new power supply and soldering equipment, helping hands, a dorcy and more???
Im on the verge of posting this in the buy sell section. :'(

I got the same thing from Ebay (the same guy too) and i love the pointer i made. Its in a plastic housing for now till i get a wider heatsink made. Its long like that to keep it cool. You can unscrew it and half its size but recommend using another heatsink with it or a TEC. I got it focussed so much i can burn through a cd case in about 2 seconds. I also have an Atec 200mw that takes around 6 seconds to go through. Im currently looking for a flashlight as well that will fit it all. no big deal. As for the switch, its just on-off switch i got from radio shack.

MB500

I bought that same thing from target. They are a little tight for lasers but nice because they are compact.

Joe from stimlogic.com hes out of stock on them now . he has a green kit with cystals, and some other stuff right now. go to the sight and see what he builds, then click on the ebay link to see what is available. he will answer all your question and then some. great guy to deal with..

Kenom

aces4al said:
Poor Kenom, I probably ruined any other noobs chances at getting help from Ken in the future, by blowing his mind today with noob questions and PM lag.
(

far from it my friend. I love this hobby especially helping newbies out. I have a few ideas about getting that thing open and will show you by editing your picture, and taking a few of my own.

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

You'll want to put pressure on the inside of the pliers to make sure they stay in those grooves while you turn it COUNTER CLOCKWISE.
if it does not turn, put it in a baggie, and boil it. that will weaken any glue they may have used to glue it down. I assure you it will turn eventually. Once it does you'll be able to pull the board and the driver or lack thereof from under it. from there it is very simple to swap out the driver you got from that gentleman with the existing driver (or lack thereof) from the dorcy.

umm i am just wodnering but what do you guies do with thos led's and would you be intrested in giving them away?

Kenom

Giving away a perfectly good 1 watt led??? I've now got enough led's to do accents on my computer desk.