Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2107mW 445

DrSid

In the 445 diodes I believe there are 6 of these tiny gold wires and we all know that GOLD is the best conductor of electricity :D

It's not .. or is it some kind of joke I missed ?

But maybe if these wires are the weak point, something could be done with it. I don't mean soldering, but maybe some kind of clip could be placed on the diode chip which could withstand more current.

Its possible.. I think the reason they used 3 wires was to ensure that if one fused or failed the diode could still run at its rated power.
This used to be done in the early days of LED 7 segment displays where a failed segment meant changing the entire display.

One thought I had is to replace the small bond wires with slightly more substantial ones salvaged from old transistors.

I might try one of the repaired diodes to see if reinforcing the wires increases the maximum power.. 3000 mW would be insane.

-A

Last edited:

DrSid

Well .. on the second thought .. the wires might be limiting factor for the current we can push through .. but we know that the power does not increase with current around 2W.

I intend to test this theory :)

Obviously under carefully controlled (read Peltier TEC) conditions.

BTW has anyone here experimented with low melting point alloy to hold modules in place?
This would seem to be an effective technique as the metal fills up the gaps in the casing and yields extremely high thermal conductivity.

Backfilling the void between the diode can and aixiz casing with LMP having first Epoxied the wires in place would also help.

I once made a laser etcher using just LMP to hold everything in place, it worked fine.
As far as I know it still is, sent this particular project to someone else to see if they could make use of it.

Check out the thermal meters used on PC OC'ing setups, these often have fan controllers and temperature feedback so can be repurposed.

-A

Last edited:
That is exactly what I told the owner of this laser but would he listen to me NOOOO it had to be over 2000mW

2111mW for how many hours ? 5 hours maybe lol... oh maybe 10 hours ok nice stuff but i really would turn the current a lilbit down to 1.2 amp :)