Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

200mW Red Pen Style from DX - Detailed Review

To start off, I really do like this laser. I am going to be picky and point out flaws, but this is a good laser and I do like it.

DealExtreme 200mW Red laser

The Basics
I really enjoy this laser. This is probably the best burner I own, It burns just as well as an open can metered at 211mW. I am sure it is near 200mW as it is noticeably brighter than a 16x burner laser diode running at 200mA. This laser feels like it is well built, it doesn't feel like it is going to fall apart when you set it on a table. The fact that it has an on/off tail cap clicky switch is a huge plus, this makes it super easy to just set down the laser and burn from across the room. Unlike what other people have said, the focusing lens is not loose, it is nice and sturdy. But the biggest advantage of this laser over other lasers is that is $53.80 shipped, this is 20% the price of WL's pulsar and it is near twice the power. To be honest, this thing beats many of the DIY lasers sold here for the same price!

Shipping/Packaging
Shipping for this laser took about three weeks, but it was free and I was expecting that so I'm not going to complain. But I am going to complain about the packaging, it sucked! For a trip from China to here, I was expecting decent packaging. It came in a paper envelope! Here is a picture of the packaging:
dx2001.jpg

At least the laser was wrapped in bubble wrap though.
dx2002.jpg

Don't worry, the laser turned out fine. There were no scratches on it or any physical blemishes.
Here is the laser, it doesn't look as bad as the DX pictures show it as:
dx2003.jpg

One thing I found odd was that the warning sticker on the laser was the exact same sticker that is on some Aixiz modules. This gives me a theory that this laser could be manufactured by the same company that manufactures Aixiz modules!
dx2004.jpg

Visibility
This thing is about as bright as my DX30 from up close. One thing to note is that this thing seems to be able to go much farther distances than my DX30, this might be due to the fact that you can dial down the divergence to pretty low. DX is totally BSing everybody on the fact that this thing has a visible beam in daytime though. The beam is pretty dim at night, it is noticeable but it is dimmer than a 5mW green. There is also a line through the dot, it is like that of many of our DIY lasers, but this is only noticeable when you set the laser down and walk up to the dot from 10 feet away.

Burning
Now for the reason why most people buy this thing: burning. This thing is a great burner! It lights white matches with a breeze, and I can light matches at 12 feet in just a few seconds, even when my hand isn't steady. At 15 feet it pops balloons near instantly. Sharpied/black matches light the INSTANT the dot is put on them if you focus the dot to a point. You can just wave a black match through the focused part of the beam and the match lights, I'm not even kidding. Electrical tape is like a joke to this thing, it cuts it like a knife. It even burns my white, pasty skin. At this power goggles are a must, I can't believe the power of this thing, and I only paid $54 for it! This thing would whip a weak Pulsar ANY day, and it is only a fifth of the price. Instead of paying $250 for 125mW of red from wicked, you could buy 1000mW of focusable red light from DX. I also enjoy engraving stuff into wood with this thing. Here are a few videos of the laser, the videos are around 8MB to 11MB a piece.

Lighting 3 matches near instantly

Lighting a WHITE match

Popping a a balloon at 15ft:

Lighting some Black powder

For all of those people who said this was going to be a "worldwide sigh of disappointment" you were proven wrong ;D

Video:

I RESCUED THIS FROM GOOGLE'S CACHE!! Google, I love you.

Last edited:

styropyro said:
I RESCUED THIS FROM GOOGLE'S CACHE!! Google, I love you.

Wow, really?

Man, that would take up SO much hard drive space to do all this caching.

Man, I sooo want a Dilda right now. You're right, the DX pictures are unflattering.

VillageIdiot said:
Man, I sooo want a Dilda right now. You're right, the DX pictures are unflattering.
Oh just buy one ;D Don't give me any crap about how you are tight on money now, you KNOW you want one ;D

I <3 my DX200 red.  I submitted a review of the laser on DX.  I'm waiting for it to be posted.

Now that I got rechargeable CR2's (thanks DX), I can bring the burning on anywhere!  :D

I have two sets so I've always got fresh batteries.

VI - Just get one.  $53.80 is dirt cheap.

Styro - You're still my hero.  :D

I love the pictures of the laser on those instructions.... I broke out laughing when I saw them.

styropyro said:
[quote author=VillageIdiot link=1209696536/0#2 date=1209727886]Man, I sooo want a Dilda right now. You're right, the DX pictures are unflattering.
Oh just buy one ;D Don't give me any crap about how you are tight on money now, you KNOW you want one ;D[/quote]

I didn't give you any crap lolz. But your point is perfectly valid *buys*

Yay! The DX200 I ordered a week ago has just got shipped!

Just a few more weeks to go now ;D

VillageIdiot said:
[quote author=styropyro link=1209696536/0#3 date=1209733150][quote author=VillageIdiot link=1209696536/0#2 date=1209727886]Man, I sooo want a Dilda right now. You're right, the DX pictures are unflattering.
Oh just buy one ;D Don't give me any crap about how you are tight on money now, you KNOW you want one ;D[/quote]

I didn't give you any crap lolz. But your point is perfectly valid *buys*[/quote]
Well, that's what everybody's excuse is, so I was predicting something like that out of you. ;D

Murudai said:
Yay! The DX200 I ordered a week ago has just got shipped!

Just a few more weeks to go now ;D
You should get it by the end of next week.

Well, the last thing I ordered from DX took around 2 weeks to get here. So I'm expecting the same thing ;)
But as usual, shipping is free, and you can't complain about free stuff ;) It'll be here when it is. (can't wait).

You know, this is funny really. I remember seeing this red laser a month ago before I started in my laser hobby. Saw it when I was looking for wireless network adapters. I remember thinking 'that thing has got to be a pile of junk' but the reviews for it are just so good. And now... I've bought one :-X

Heh, yeah. I ordered the batteries and the charger but forgot that American power plugs are different to Australian ones.... >_<

So I just ordered the adapter separately. I mean, shipping is free, so it makes no difference ;D (Plus, as a stroke of luck, some other things I ordered may need that adapter, and as it is shipping separately I don't have to wait for the laser to be ready to ship. So in the end, I win!)

dear members,

i am new to this forum. i am from austria, and i just ordered one of these great buning laser pointers at dealextreme.
yesterday my green laserpointer from ebay arrived. it cost only 1€ + 24€ shipping - and so it is a cheap one. (for my first laserpointer)

at the moment i am learning much about lasers, to get into the whole topic. so i have now a so called "50mW"-Green-Laserpointer, which is probably at max 10mW output and the diode is also low quality. (i assume...)
for a 200mW-Laser, the DX is a great device for that price. i don't expect a high quality laser, but i think it's the right one to learn with.
i also ordered 4 rechargeable cr2-batteries and the cheap charger. the adaptor for europe i couldn't find on the website, but i hope the charger is capable of working with 230V, and so building an adaptor myself isn't difficult.

now i have to look for googles because i want to do my laser experiments safe and carefully. i also assume that my cheap green laser don't have an IR-Filter, which is also not good for the eyes.

thanks for your review and for all those beginner-threads.

regards
fabian