Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers



Laser Pointer Store

200mW Red Pen Style from DX - Detailed Review

Joined
Mar 14, 2008
Messages
1,412
Likes
8
Points
0
Yeah, you should probably pick up some goggles for your 200mW there. Also buy some matches or optics sets, or you'll get bored with it rather quickly. Welcome to the forum.
 

fabifri

New member
Joined
May 3, 2008
Messages
4
Likes
0
Points
0
VillageIdiot said:
Yeah, you should probably pick up some goggles for your 200mW there. Also buy some matches or optics sets, or you'll get bored with it rather quickly. Welcome to the forum.
can i gat googles at an optician near me, or do i have to order some googles over the intenet? Which ones are recommended? Are there any special think i should look at.

And for sure i will get some optical stuff. with my green laser i only want to point around, and with the red one i'm going to light some matches and burn other things.

Thanks for you short answer. (probably this is not the correct thread to discuss about googles)

best regards
fabian
 

fabifri

New member
Joined
May 3, 2008
Messages
4
Likes
0
Points
0
sorry for the double-post. but i got my laser today.

i tried nearly everything - but i can't get the laser to burn anything. the laser cannot even burn a black electrical tape. i have focused it correctly, tried different distance - no burning power. after 10seconds of pointing at a match, it get warm, but that's it.

what am i doing wrong?

thanks for your help
 

fabifri

New member
Joined
May 3, 2008
Messages
4
Likes
0
Points
0
^^ overhasty post

managed it now, that the laser burns. what a great device!

lights the match even in under one second
 
Joined
Mar 30, 2008
Messages
6,058
Likes
21
Points
0
Excellent :) If you are still looking for goggles, check out my shop ;) Make sure you toss out the batteries that came with it, if they are the "el-cheapo" alkalines...I had one get stuck in the battery tube of a DX 50mw greenie....back when they were over $100.00 each....uhm - suffice it to say that I did not want the battery to leak everywhere, so I destroyed the battery tube....looking back, awe crud...ANYWAY you look at it, that was pretty darn stupid of me ! Eh - I now have a 50mw green module to install in something cool sometime :p
 

Petrovski

New member
Joined
May 2, 2008
Messages
475
Likes
1
Points
0
This review is the main reason I ordered one too. Just checked the track&trace, status is shipped. Curious when the unit will arrive.
 

xJumper

New member
Joined
Apr 5, 2008
Messages
161
Likes
0
Points
0
The reason why I don't want is is because it looks like a freaking dildo, I usually don't take off the warning sticker but its an ugly sticker on that one so I would take it off, then some friends would come in one day and they would be like "WTF is that big black dildo shaped thing over their?, wait! It is a dildo, this guys gay!" so it would be better if it was flat tipped. Next, what kind of diode is it using, your standard 16x DVD burner thats been pushed to the limit or a good quality diode.

If its a good quality diode than I might buy.
 

daguin

New member
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
16,636
Likes
622
Points
0
xJumper said:
The reason why I don't want is is because it looks like a freaking dildo, I usually don't take off the warning sticker but its an ugly sticker on that one so I would take it off, then some friends would come in one day and they would be like "WTF is that big black dildo shaped thing over their?, wait! It is a dildo, this guys gay!" so it would be better if it was flat tipped. Next, what kind of diode is it using, your standard 16x DVD burner thats been pushed to the limit or a good quality diode.

If its a good quality diode than I might buy.

thejunkmonger flattened the "nose" of his. It was solid aluminum. It is NOT part of a heatsink. It is just screwed onto the lens of the module. Buy it and then file, sand, lathe, saw the nose flat. The best of both worlds.

Peace,
dave
 

xJumper

New member
Joined
Apr 5, 2008
Messages
161
Likes
0
Points
0
Does this 200mW red actually have a diode capable of running at 200mW and of a long lifespan at your average duty cycle or is it a 16x DVD burner diode that has extra voltage running through it?


And does it have a resistor so you don't have to worry about busting it by using Lithium Batteries that usually have higher voltage?
 

styropyro

New member
Joined
Jun 13, 2007
Messages
5,385
Likes
477
Points
0
xJumper said:
Does this 200mW red actually have a diode capable of running at 200mW and of a long lifespan at your average duty cycle or is it a 16x DVD burner diode that has extra voltage running through it?


And does it have a resistor so you don't have to worry about busting it by using Lithium Batteries that usually have higher voltage?
Dr. Lava said that these diodes look something like the "Phazor" diodes in DDL's group buy. If so, they are rated at 200mW CW.

IgorT and I did some tests and he is thinking that the driver is mean to regulate, but it doesn't always regulate. The laser is designed for 3v CR2s, but my RCR2s charge to 3.60v and the laser does fine with them.
 

xJumper

New member
Joined
Apr 5, 2008
Messages
161
Likes
0
Points
0
Ok this is starting to sound to good to be true, good quality diode and overall product @ 200mW of power and only 50$, if thats true than it would confirm that Wicked Laser is not just grossly overpriced, its a fking joke!


Im not a fan of reds but my friend just wants burning capabilities and I think this is for him.
 

styropyro

New member
Joined
Jun 13, 2007
Messages
5,385
Likes
477
Points
0
xJumper said:
Im not a fan of reds
That was exactly what I thought, but then I built my first burning red laser and I was hooked on red! You would be surprised how much fun you can have with a burning laser. If you do order this for your friend, I can almost guarantee when you get it that you are going to go straight to DX and buy one for yourself ;D
 




Top