Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

200mW 1x18650 black/aluminium 532nm Kaidomain "flashlight" ($89.99)

Hello!

I stumbled across a new laser toy and thought that I would make a review. The item this time is a 200mW "Flashlight" style green laser for $89.99 retail.

01.jpg

General properties

• Power output: 200mW
  • Wavelength: 532nm +-10nm
  • Steady pointer black metal build
  • Sectionable
  • Uses 1x 18650 and includes charger (US type plug)

Pointer construct / build quality

The pointer is made of some medium weight metal. Probably aluminum. It has a black finish. And you can split it into 3 parts and remove the top hat:

02.jpg

Top view:

03.jpg

Removing the hat shows the heatsink:

04.jpg

They have glued together the pointer outer shell and heatsink in between.

All in all it feels good to hold. Very firm. Does not feel cheap at all. A downside is the power switch which is actually glitching. Sometimes you have to unscrew it and re-adjust to be able to use it from time to time. It's btw a push button on/off clicking. Not a momentary on button. I prefer the momentary buttons personally.

Beam quality

The beam is fairly tight. Not like those FP burners "200mW" pens which has an insane (in a bad way) focus. This has a stable dot size on longer distances. I did not calculate the Mrad for this one.

I seem to have a small smudge on the lens which I may try to remove later on. It shows as an additional green circle next to the beam dot:

05.jpg

It otherwise seems perfectly round.

Power output

Attached the LaserBee on the serial port and dumping raw data at 9600bps 8N1 and it started to give me readings. The LaserBee seems to sample output every 0.1s and prints it as "<value>,<value>" (where both values are the same). Does anyone know what the 2nd column stand for? It's not the max value as it does decrease.

Anyhow, assembled data over ~90s and got the following graph:

lb.jpg

The peak is at around 130mW. But I like that it keeps stable around 115-119mW. However not the promised 200mW spec pointers. :)

Beam shots

Last section, for some beam shots.

07.jpg

08.jpg

All in all recommendation?

I would probably not recommend this pointer. For the price tag I feel that it has too many flaws. Aside from the 130mW peak the on/off button glitches and the lens has smudges.

On the positive sides the power output is stable. Build quality is fairly good and both the power button and lens can be fixed with a bit of handy crafting. ;)

[SIZE=3pt]All in all recommendation? clean your house when u take pics[/SIZE]

hahaha, JK.
Can you take a shot of the button :3

thanks 4 the review bro.

[SIZE=3pt]All in all recommendation? clean your house when u take pics[/SIZE]

hahaha, JK.
Can you take a shot of the button :3

thanks 4 the review bro.

Lol. Can I blame it on the cat or gf? ;)

Two detailed pics coming up.

09.jpg

10.jpg

Screws right on to the bottom.

Dusty

Nice review, and not too bad for the money, its just a shame that it is nowhere near the specified output...:undecided:

nice beam shots at the end though! very clear...:D

EDIT: 100th post wooo...:D

Dusty said:
Nice review, and not too bad for the money, its just a shame that it is nowhere near the specified output...:undecided:

nice beam shots at the end though! very clear...:D

Thank you! And yeah. Kind of expected in forehand with the power however! :)

Rob

Nice review! Very detailed. Sucks it wasn't up to spec though... But what can you expect from the cheap companies?

Nice review! Very detailed. Sucks it wasn't up to spec though... But what can you expect from the cheap companies?

Thank you for the feedback! and yes, to be expected :)

Benm

For $90 it seems to put out a reasonable amount of power - looks like it will taper off to about 100 mW after a few minutes.

Too bad its over-labeled, but doesnt seem a bad deal at all if you're looking for a 100 mW unit.