Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

$200 (newbie questions)

Hello, so pretty much I want to get a green laser pointer for ~$200.
I was looking at this (200mW) but you guys don't seem all that keen on this company/product, I read something that it was not outputting anywhere near 200mW.

So by reading your sticky I came across this. Costs more + half the mW's?

I don't know that much about lasers besides Australia having annoying import restrictions on them and me wanting one. So it would be great if I can get some more info on these or other recommendations, that would be great.

Also re the Australia part, if I apply for a permission to import something like this, what are the chances of it being accepted?

All input is appreciated, thanks.

With my understanding of the Australia laser laws I would think you would
not have a farts chance in a wind storm of getting one through customs,
I don't think they will grant you and exception just because you want one.

I could be wrong :thinking: not...

Last edited:
Well that aint good but i'll give it a shot anyway. But is that Dragon laser model good bang for buck?

Some info from here regarding Aus, if anyones interested:
when the goods are laser pointers for use by the importer:
1. A certified copy of a licence or authorisation that demonstrates
the importer is authorised to possess the goods for the
importer’s intended use in accordance with the law of the State
or Territory in which the goods are to be used.
2. A statutory declaration stating the goods are required for a
legitimate purpose (such as astronomy, research, etc) and will
only be used for this purpose, and the goods will be secured
appropriately while in Australia.
3. Evidence of occupation, such as a letter of appointment and
relevant licences.

HIMNL9

For avoid import problems with custom offices, you need to ask to the seller to ship it in 2 different packages (part in one, part in the other), so the content is not a "complete working laser pointer" ..... this way )but you need to check your laws, first), the packages can be marked honestly as "spare parts" (honestly, cause part of a pointer, not working alone, is basically just a spare part), and if your laws don't regulate parts, but only complete lasers, there's a good possibility that they pass, and you can assemble it again when you get the 2 parts.

The only problem can be finding a seller that do this for you ..... in the past, o-like was doing this, paying the extra shipping fees for the second package, but you need to ask them if they still do that .....

By the way ..... i suppose you know how to use safely a 200mW laser and have appropriate safety goggles, right ? ..... right ?

HIMNL9

About the 2 packages, it depend mainly from how the laser is built .....

For the ones that have a "drop-in" module, is enough to get the body in one package and the module in another, and just join them ..... for the ones like the "o-like transformable", is enough to get the main part in one package and the rest of body and tailcap in the other, and just screw them together ..... for other models, you need to know how they can be easily divided in parts, for know how to reassemble them .....
and, ofcourse, if there is any battery and charger included, they must be always shipped in the package that does not contain the module part.

The main purpose, anyway, is to have them shipped in a way that, for each package, there is not a complete and working pointer ..... so they can be marked honestly as "spare parts" or "electronic parts" from the seller, and custom office cannot turn them on and say that is a working pointer.

Fiddy

You should be ok.

Ive had a complete laser sent in 2x parts, tail cap & lens in 1 package and main body in the other.

Or

You can bring in a 200mW 532nm module no worries then integrate it into a handheld :)