Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

$20 Myrtle beach green pen

I was driving through Myrtle Beach and on every one of those beach store type strip mall shops there was a sign advertising 'green lasers'. Now I haven't been up that way in a long time but I have heard about a lot of problems around beach areas with people being harassed by green lasers. So I decided to pick up a random sample of what was available through these type shops. I just picked a random store and bought the only type of green pen they were selling there (from my experience at these places, there may be 100 stores in the area but they all carry the same goods).

I paid $20.00 for it, which felt like a rip-off but I felt it was worth it for the sake of curiosity. I was surprised by the meter reading on this unit because it isn't really that bright, leading me to believe that much of the output is IR. IMO I think that these things are pretty dangerous at this output especially because of where they are sold and who they are sold to. Watch your eyes out there on the strip!

Attachments

• 1CHEAPO.jpg
    1CHEAPO.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 449
  • 4CHEAPO.jpg
    4CHEAPO.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 342
  • 2CHEAPO.jpg
    2CHEAPO.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 322
  • 3CHEAPO.jpg
    3CHEAPO.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 368

I couldn't clearly read the Label on the Laser...
What is the Max Power Output indicated...
Have you tried an IR blocking Filter..???

Jerry

The sticker says "max output power <50mW", which is surprisingly true. I don't have an IR filter other than the one inside another green I have, but I'm going to order one for cases just like these.

What a shocker. I wonder why they sell 30-40mW units at the BEACH!? Sounds a bit absurd these days...

jakeGT

That sounds like my thread "attention retards"

Some of the pens that all the little jackasses on the beach had were over 5mW cause there were beams coming at my face

X FLY

That's exactly like the cheapie pens I got from greece, paid 15€/ea :p