Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2 watt 808nm beam hitting the trees with IR cam!

Benm

Re: 2 watt 808nm beam hitting the trees with IR ca

Chris. said:
[quote author=Benm link=1196561676/0#12 date=1196613618][quote author=things link=1196561676/0#9 date=1196579069]IR lasers are cool in the fact that you can shine them at houses, and no one will notice unless they are taking a pic at the same time ;D ;D

Unless someone is looking out a window in your direction, and you'll burn an eye without them ever seeing it coming... i'm quite sure they'd notice that.

Poiting a 2 watt IR laser somewhere you could hit someone is a very bad idea, much more so that using a visible laser. If you hit someone in the face with a 2 watt green, they can at least close their eyes or look the other way. Still very dangerous, but give some divergence and distance much less likely to injure someone.
[/quote]

Not a chance  ;)
[/quote]

It all depends on distance and divergence.. 2 watts is an incredible amount of light from a laser, but if it's a mile away it's not all -that- dangerous anymore. Given a divergence of 1 mrad, you're talking a 'dot' that is over 5 feet wide.

Power density drops with the square of a spots diameter, making this laser, at 1 mile, no more dangerous than a 2 mW laser relatively close with spot size of 5 cm... not enough to do any harm, though it will still be confortably bright to look at and you're likely to blink your eyes (in time) or look away.

The main danger with IR is that you don't blink. Exposing people to the longer wavelengths is extra dangerous, since they might see the (apparently quite dim) red light, wonder where it comes from and actually stare at the source.

I don't think you would be able to see 2mW of IR light. It would either be drowned out by other light in the daytime, or scotopic vision would make it far less visible at night.

did u get 2 watt diode from snoctony?

i wish i had a 2W green... let me rephrase that: PORTABLE 2W green... cept 4 the fact that behind my house is fire station and my neighbor is police cheif, that would be loads of fun... MUAHAHAHHAA

think of all the matches i could light...

amk

disma

yes, I got it from snoctony, and I would be very carefull with it, its a very powerfull laser for $100.00... :eek: It wouldnt be any fun if they lock u up. Not trieng to be a party pooper, just trieng to make sure people understand how powerfull this laser is, its not a 60w co2, but it is still very impressive. :eek: :eek: You still would need a regulator thats capable of driving it too. Im useing an lm323k with 1.5 ohms 15w resistance I believe. Powered from a 12v 7ah gel cell.

Max

disma said:
yes, I got it from snoctony, and I would be very carefull with it, its a very powerfull laser for $100.00...  :eek: It wouldnt be any fun if they lock u up. Not trieng to be a party pooper, just trieng to make sure people understand how powerfull this laser is, its not a 60w co2, but it is still very impressive. :eek: :eek: You still would need a regulator thats capable of driving it too. Im useing an lm323k with 1.5 ohms 15w resistance I believe. Powered from a 12v 7ah gel cell.

Max

certainly not portable LOL

I got his 200mW diode (IR) and I killed it, the leads fell off (no, i didnt do something to make them fall off, they felled off ;) :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ [smiley=engel017.gif] [smiley=wink.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

good diode, cept for i couldnt focus it. What module do you suggest for IR?

BTW, are his 2W diodes 5.6mm? I wouldnt think so...

regards,

amk

ixfd64

Was it a portable IR laser? If so, where did you get it?

Benm

Powering a 2 watt IR diode in a portable laser shouldn't be that hard really. They take a couple of amps at roughly 2 volts, easily supplied from a few NiMH penlites or a single 18650 cell (like the RPL pump).

Still, i'm quite surprised you got the focus that good for one of these diodes.

disma

I built it. It took a while and a lot of experimentation to get it that good, I used a lens from an old toy telescope to collimate it, the diode is a to-3 case type diode, its not in any module, I built it into a case from one of those old video transmitters."video rabit", and glued a lens mount from a board camera to the side with jbweld, then mounted the telescope lens on the screw in part so I can focus it. as you can see, it worked out most awesomely! :D (is that a real word?)
It is portable, you just cant stick the whole thing in a pocket. the gel cell is about 6in x 3in., I was useing 6aa's to run it, but after changing to the 323k reg, it needs 12 volts at 2.4 amps to run wich is too much for aa nimh's. I could have used an 8aa holder, but the life would be real short.

Max

Benm

Could you post a picture of the setup, showing the LD and lens?

disma

ok, here it is.

Max

Attachments

• v_-_2watt_laser_lens_and_to3_diode.wmv
    2.8 MB · Views: 47

Benm

Ah, TO-3 size regulator on top, TO-3 size diode inside?

What did you use exactly to mount the adjustable lens?

just a question:

TO-3 is like big eliptical thing,

what is TO-5? does it have 3 pins like 5.6mm ones? is it 5.6mm?

disma

I used a lens mount from one of the cvs cameras, its a square plastic piece with a 3/4th inch hole in the center, the other part of the lens mount that origionaly had a camera lens in it, had in ir filter in it, I shot the lens with my yag to try to fry out the filter and it turned solid black! ;D ;D ;D so I took a screwdriver and banged out the lens, and drilled the hole bigger, then discovered that the telescope eye piece would fit on top of it almost perfectly, it is such a tight fit, I didnt even have to glue it. and it still screws into the plastic mount.

Max

disma

I think the to-5 is the same kind of case as the 5.6, but it is 9mm.

Max

Benm

TO-5/TO-39 are casings most used for transistors. The actual can is about 8 mm in diameter (there is quite some tolerance), and they have a slighly wider base (allowing you to fit a star-shaped heatsink securely).

Attachments

• to-cases.jpg
    to-cases.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 100

I believe there is a topic in the general section explaining most of the different types of diodes.