Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2.2W 638nm Red Diode

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I've seen this talked about before. I think the issue with it was that the divergeance was so awful it wouldn't even be worth having. Or something like that. Maybe I'm wrong tho. Either way, nice find :beer:

Interesting. It contains two separate laser diodes in a TO-5 case. Its divergence is bad, but it is modeled for the TV projector industry.

The Optoelectronics Co. Ltd.Request Info

WARABI, Japan, Dec. 20, 2017 — The Optoelectronics Co. has announced two new red laser diodes from Ushio Opto Semiconductors Inc. that focus on laser projection and laser television.

The HL63283HD is a visible wavelength laser diode in a 9-mm diameter CAN package with high heat dissipation and a high wall plug efficiency of 40 percent. It offers 1.2-W optical output power at a typical center lasing wavelength of 637 nm at 25 °C. Its operating temperature range is −10 to 45 °C, with a typical operating voltage of 2.3V, a 2V LD reverse with a typical threshold current of 340 mA and an operating current of 1300 mA. The typical beam divergence parallel to the junction is 10° and perpendicular to the junction is 33°.

The HL63290HD is also a visible wavelength laser diode in a 9-mm diameter CAN package with high heat dissipation and high wall plug efficiency of 40 percent. However, it offers a higher continuous-wave optical output power of 2.2 W at a typical center lasing wavelength of 638 nm at 25 °C. Its operating temperature range is −10 to 55 °C, with a typical operating voltage of 2.4V, an LD reverse voltage of 2V with a typical threshold current of 600 mA and an operating current of 2.4 A. The typical beam divergence parallel to the junction is 10° and perpendicular to the junction is 33°.

For a red MM diode, that divergence isn't so awful at 10 and 33 degrees for the uncollimated output, the 700 mw Oclaro 638 nm HL63193MG diode we have been using in our pointers has a typical divergence of 9 and 35 degrees.

Last edited:
I think the Oclaro is awful. So is the Mits, with basically the same divergence too. What I call good divergence specs for a MM diode is the NDB7875.

I can't disagree, the divergence is bad compared to that diode, but as red MM diodes go, in that category alone it isn't too bad. For my Oclaro 700 mw laser pointer I had to expand the beam 8x to reduce the divergence enough to be acceptable, at least, for my likes of 1 mRad or lower.

Are you clipping the output with the BE input lens? It would have to be fairly large to get all of it through. Most 5X BE have very small input lenses.

I measured the output of the BE to get an idea if it might have been clipping inside and there was more loss than expected, clipping may have caused some, but the AR coating was for 488 nm, so I would expect extra loss from that too. This expander had a 13 mm diameter lens on the input, 22 mm output. The output lens isn't big enough for 8X, if based upon input and output diameter ratios alone, so the input clear aperture must have been designed to accept no more than a 2.5 mm diameter beam. I don't have any specs beyond that for the unit. Regardless, the output beam looked strong to me, way better than the red rake I was seeing before and able to put a nice red spot on some 5,000 foot high cloud bases in the night sky. The red rake just disappeared into the distance when trying to do so without the BE.

Screen_Shot_2018_01_02_at_11_10_26_AM.png

A beam from the 700 mw Oclaro can fit into the input aperture, if taken out of infinity focus to something tighter, but then when expanding through the input lens, clipping can still occur, so perhaps it did. Wasn't perfect, but worked well enough for me.

Last edited:
@Alaskan

In the far field, if you got a spot at 5,000 feet, I'd call it good enough too. I'm sure you could come up with a better BE for this diode, but if you are satisfied, why try?