Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2,000mm lasers on eBay???

I mean, 2,00mw!!! :)

Hello everyone.

I was cruising around eBay today looking for a good price on a couple of inexpensive lasers when I noticed this. High Power 450nm Blue Laser Pointer Pen Military Light Beam Burn Match Paper 2W | eBay

Is this real? Are these laser's really a full 2W of power?

I thought that lasers sold to the general public were restricted to a specific maximum output of 5mw regardless of brand.

I'm really curious to find out if this ad is correct or not.

While I'm here, I have a question regarding power output.

Aside from being able to see the beam itself slightly better, and being able to burn stuff, what would be a few examples of why a more powerful laser would be required or useful?

Thank you all who answer.

Last edited:

USAbro

I just actually asked that question myself. Others say it's probably less, more like 500mw-1watt and that since the host is so small it may over heat. That laser looks pretty junky. I just bought this and there is a review on this forum of it from someone else. High Power 445nm Focus Visible Blue Beam Laser Pointer Pen Boxset with 5 Caps | eBay

You can buy lasers over 5mw it just can't advertise it self as a pointer as there not safe for that application.
Check this page out: http://www.laserpointersafety.com/FAQ/FAQ.html#What_is_the_maximum_allowed_pow

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the reply!

Even at 1 watt that's still a whole lot stronger than anything else that can be found easily online.

I just went to the site where you bought your blue one. Pretty nice! I can't seem to find anywhere on the ad that says "it's" strength though. Do you know what it is?? I'm just kind of curious because it's really cool, but I'd have to at least have "some" reason I could use to justify to myself the additional cost. lol

Do you happen to know what's the easiest way to kind of test how powerful a laser is other than having some kind of meter? Or,....what kind of meter is used to test these things and where might they be found? I'm sure I can find the answers here on the site somewhere, I just figured I'd ask while I had someone here though. :)

Anyway.Thanks again for the reply.

policetac

3Pig

Class 4 (500mW and above) lasers are EXTREMELY dangerous and should only be used when wearing appropriate safety glasses, they may function like pointers but one reflection can be detrimental for your vision, so they should be treated like a weapon.

There are no accurate ways of measuring output power without a LPM, but when you start getting burn marks on the wall, its probably pretty powerful.

a real 2w would cost more then 50$ only.. but it may be still 1w or close to that, anyone buying a high powered laser on ebay and expects good quality is clueless and shouldnt buy lasers at all.. for a good quality laser you should look to spend atleast 100$ or more if u want quality.

USAbro

I contacted the seller to find power info. It also says on the label on the laser. The reason they don't post that info is because paypal doesn't allow sale through them of lasers more than 5mw.

No, there is no way to tell other than a power meter. You could guess by what it could do. For example, it burns wood; probably over 500mw. Can't do anything. Probably less than 15mw. You see. You can guess with a huge range but without an LPM you can't be exact.

I saw the laser you pointed out. The reason I chose the one I did was because it was more expensive. I think it was worth the risk and anyways it had more features, was sturdier, larger, and I read a review on it. The other looked like junk. If you want a 1 watt laser and you don't care about quality, go for it. But your better off spending $150+ for something better. I know that I am not ready to invest that much so I got something cheaper.

Last edited:
No, there is no way to tell other than a power meter. You could guess by what it could do. For example, it burns would; probably over 500mw. Can't do anything. Probably less than 15mw. You see. You can guess with a huge range but without an LPM you can't be exact.

That's not true. Depending on the wavelength & material a laser can burn well before 500mW....

150mW+ of 532nm will already start to light matches on fire!

-Alex

Last edited:

USAbro

That's not true. Depending on the wavelength & material a laser can burn well before 500mW....

150mW+ of 532nm will already start to light matches on fire!

-Alex
Okay, although my example may not be true, it gives an idea (I said it may be very off) as long as the person doesn't think a 10mw will burn or a 3watt won't do anything. There are people out their who think that lasers are typically in the megawatt range because of TV.

Oh and I meant to say, burns "wood" not would.

Last edited:
Okay, although my example may not be true, it gives an idea (I said it may be very off) as long as the person doesn't think a 10mw will burn or a 3watt won't do anything. There are people out their who think that lasers are typically in the megawatt range because of TV.

Gotcha! No worries I understand, mistakes happen! Honestly though, nobody should jump straight into a 500mW laser as their first laser they own. I said this many times & when I first started the hobby, I went for just POWAH! I didn't care about my eye-sight or what wavelength was best I just wanted bright & powerful!!!

That being said I ended up getting a 500mW 532nm laser & never wore glasses & basically took risks I would never take now since I understand how dangerous these things can be. Im just lucky I wasn't blinded for having acted so stupid & to this day....I still have a cheap "2W" Chinese laser which is extremely bright that I almost never turn on since I don't trust myself with it yet :)

-Alex

Last edited:

Your intention doesn't matter when you are spreading misinformation. I understand it might be difficult for you but don't give out advice until you've gotten to know more about lasers.

USAbro

Your intention doesn't matter when you are spreading misinformation. I understand it might be difficult for you but don't give out advice until you've gotten to know more about lasers.

I know enough to help him with what he asked. I have 4 lasers and and getting a 5th.

Greenlander-where did you get your 2watt chinese laser?

I know enough to help him with what he asked. I have 4 lasers and and getting a 5th.

Greenlander-where did you get your 2watt chinese laser?

It isn't a 2W 532nm I got ripped-off. It only costed me about $300 & was dimmer then a TRUE 500mW I bought from JetLasers awhile back :(

I was going to give you the link but the website dosen't seem to be up anymore. It was called "selllaser.com"

-Alex

USAbro

It isn't a 2W 532nm I got ripped-off. It only costed me about $300 & was dimmer then a TRUE 500mW I bought from JetLasers awhile back :(

I was going to give you the link but the website dosen't seem to be up anymore. It was called "selllaser.com"

-Alex

Some links do tend to have problems. The other day I was looking at some guys sig with links and none worked.