Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1W NUGM01T 520nm Laser Diode

Yea but they are pretty consistent.
We could have a standard baseline test.
Either raw diode output at 10 feet...but 12mm housings clip the highly divergent axis in the threads.

So maybe use a short fl lens, like the G2 and list all the diodes and their spot size at 30 feet or 10 yards at it's best possible focus of course, through a G2.

We can't go by the data sheet with these NUGM and NUBM diodes because the perpendicular and parallel divergence numbers are after the Gball lens where as the canned diodes such as the NDB and NDG is rated right out of the diode.

So if we listed at 10 meters through a G2 after the Gball lenses are removed then we would have a comparative test and the single mode diodes would shine like the diamonds they are and when calculating energy density people could see what diode has the best energy density for it's emitter size and what diodes will produce the least divergent beams in their output class.

They have basically lengthened the pn junction to get more power when switching from the NDB to the NUBM just like thy did when going from the NDB7875 to the NDB7A75.

But I digress, if we use a lens that captures all the diodes output and list the focused picture dimensions at 10 yards then we would have a comparison and based on known perpendicular and parallel divergences and emitter sizes we could extrapolate many of the others and offer a likely estimate on the rest.

At least people would know if a de canned NUGM01T has a wider line at a given distance than a NDG7475 and how much different it will likely be.

I doubt having the facts would deter the general masses from buying the least expensive diodes anyway, even if we told them up front that the divergence was xx as much as another, they will still buy the cheaper one until they understand what any of it means.
Chinese sellers list it as a 5000mw blue laser for 49 dollars and they believe it.

Last edited:

I've had to cut the threaded end off of a Aixiz module to stop the output of the beam from being clipped off in one host I made when using a long FL PCX lens, so that is a problem, I agree. Using the method you suggest is the best idea, because maybe then maybe I won't have to test so many diodes if I can get others collaborate on figuring out the emitter sizes of the laser diodes we use in our pointers.

Took me a couple of years to zero in on the importance of a small emitter size regarding divergence, strange that the lowest power laser diodes produce the brightest spot at great distances, I had thought power was king regarding close and far, but the reality is the larger emitter higher power laser diodes are more like flashlights when it comes to distance, they just peter out.

I have been searching specification sheets for the diodes we use, and most of the ones I find, if I can find them, don't show the emitter sizes, it's disappointing.

Last edited:

DTR

I have been searching specification sheets for the diodes we use, and most of the ones I find, if I can find them, don't show the emitter sizes, it's disappointing.

Yea I am sure that is a strategic omission to keep how bad the divergence of the diode really is till the end user realizes it specially with these newer generation diodes that are designed for display use.

I've had to cut the threaded end off of a Aixiz module to stop the output of the beam from being clipped off in one host I made when using a long FL PCX lens, so that is a problem, I agree. Using the method you suggest is the best idea, because maybe then maybe I won't have to test so many diodes if I can get others collaborate on figuring out the emitter sizes of the laser diodes we use in our pointers.

Took me a couple of years to zero in on the importance of a small emitter size regarding divergence, strange that the lowest power laser diodes produce the brightest spot at great distances, I had thought power was king regarding close and far, but the reality is the larger emitter higher power laser diodes are more like flashlights when it comes to distance, they just peter out.

Couldn't agree more. The raw divergence, however extreme, is completely correctable with optics. What is not correctable, however, is the quality of the beam based on the size of the emitter. It would be fantastic to have a chart of all available diodes and their emitter size. I'm sure if we pester them enough, we could get the companies to tell us the emitter specs.