Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

<1W lasers?

I just have always wondered why companies advertise that they are selling a 1W 447nm laser when most of the tests around here have come to be between 600-800mW a majority of the time? Class IV laser none the less, but I would like all 1W of power that they are advertising. Is it that they peak at 1W and then average down to 700 or that it is potentially capable of doing 1W of power? It just bothers me a bit; if it averages 800mW, why not just advertise it as so? Any thoughts, opinions, and answers welcomed! Thanks.

r8nd0m

I believe they're just going by the current the driver is delivering.

Perhaps since it's not as inefficient as a DPSS, they feel it's an accurate estimate.

udanis

You have to really read into what they say. WL says the S3 is 1000mw, but that is the max power, they post the min power as 500mw, so you can get a laser anywhere in between. Dragon lasers state "Optical output power less than 1Watt" so that really means that the laser has less power than 1000mw.

Bigger companies that like to pride themselves on quality will often ship out lasers that put out an average power that is greater than what they rated and are selling the laser for. Companies like LaserGlow, and Nova are some that do this. Other companies are out trying to make quick and easy sales on new unspsecting people wanting to get into the laser hobby, by claiming their lasers put out more than it really does(without the customer knowing). Chances are the newbie(for lack of a better word) wont have a LPM or prior experience with lasers which would not lead him/her to question whether or not they got what they paid for or what was advertised.

Another point to consider is that these specific diodes are very temperature sensitive. The output can fluctuate, and while they very well could peak to 1W, I figure they are advertising the highest value because...well it's better for them.

you may also want to consider that if you buy a 750cc motorcycle,
the engine displacement is not exactly 750cc most are around the 745cc .
they round up for advertising and legal reasons like insurance classification.

MPG on cars... ya...right...

Sure your a size "0" ...

the checque is in the mail and I wont cum in your mouth either...

I'm sure that under specific conditions these 1W lasers will preform on or above spec. but for how long...who knows.

chill the diode, adjust the trim pot if you dare and see what you can get...

just remember your goggles, 1W+ reflecting off anything close by can be uh...
life altering.

Last edited: