Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1W Blue Laser vs. Thermometer!

I remember something similar, but IIRC with a yag laser. a 50kW Co2? That's hardly possible.

Here it is. The sticker says 2.5kW Nd:YAG, so it's probably around 1kW. Not your average laser.

It will boil coffee almost instantly but only in one very small area.

I tried yesterday. While there was coffee that was sizzling on top of the liquid, I'm wondering if it isn't just the oils from the coffee. The "boiling" was taking place at the surface, but only at the surface. There was also a thin film of oil on top. The oil is part of the coffee. I think it's where some of the bitter tasting alkalai substances are at (like caffeine). I suspect that rather than the water boiling, the laser was vaporizing the oils.

HAHA I can see it already....its a new noob guage for "how to tell if your o-like laser is up to spec" If it is it should be able to:
explode thermometers

I can even hear it already "My laser isnt up to spec. It cant even explode my dads thermometer!"

Yeah. I tried this with my new 1W Survival Laser 445nm. It didn't work! Barely registered 5 degrees. Thought I had a dud until I realized I was expecting way too much, thinking my laser could explode a digital thermometer... I wasn't even aimed at the batteries. :crackup: