Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1W 405nm Laser Diode: Advice?

IsaacT

Okay, so I think we have all heard about lazeerer's infamous 1W 405nm diodes by now, and I am sure many of us have been salivating over getting one. Well n2stuff recently posted a link to some on ebay from Junktronics.

HERE is the link.

Question time: Do you think these are legit? Is this the diode? I am thinking about buying one of them and making it into a laser, but I don't want to waste my money.
Next question: Do you guys think these diodes will heat up really quickly? I trying to gauge how big of a host I need.
Last question: Is the price right?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!
-Isaac

IsaacT

Bumpitty bump....I am a rabbit. But I guess they bounce more than bump...well then I am a shark.

That same company sells those diodes in modules for the same price too.

IsaacT

But they aren't handheld ready modules. They are wonky modules. But they come with a really good lens, just not sure if the lens will work with our housings.

DTR

These are 400mW(rated) multimode diodes. Nothing like the 405's that lazeerer had. Pretty useless if you ask me. The best part about the 405's are that the diodes are very powerful and singlemode making them crazy burners which makes up for them being of extremely low visibility. So if you get these you are giving up the best reason to look at 405 diodes unless you have UV needs and to get to 1W you are doubling the stated datasheet max which only some experience will tell you how long they will last driving them that hard.
Features
・ Optical output powr: Po=400mW(CW)
・ Violet lasing :p=398~410nm
・ Low operating current: Iop=390mA Typ.
・ Low operating voltage: Vop=5.5V Max.
・ Small package: φ5.6mm
Multi transverse mode oscillation

http://www.thorlabs.com/Thorcat/21900/HL40023MG-MFGSpec.pdf

Check out how wide the beam is only a few inches from the aperture.
kgrhqrhjdofdejzgrrbrpl4.jpg

Last edited: