Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1st Non-$1 Laser

Need my 1st green laser to surprise my friends with, I have binoculars too help shine long distances in their apartment, (not a teen, careful, not to get in eye), then shine at stars. Budget is $30, would be cool if I could pop balloons (100mW right?), I've seen the list but is laserpointerpro.com ok?

gozert

Laserpointerpro has very crappy lasers. I'd recommend not going there.

30$ isn't much of a budget when it comes to lasers, and certainly isn't going to get you a 100mW 532nm.

I would suggest you to take a look at Gearbest and buy one of their 7-10$ green lasers. Usually I wouldn't recommend them for lasers as the quality isn't exactly good, but it's the closest to 100mW you're going to get with a 30$ budget.

Wow thanks, are kaleidoscopes any good? To my knowledge, they are still a pointer dot but long distance it emits a cool image. Also, do I need to wear goggles for shining 100mW green or should I just get a measly 5mW one?

I say save up a few more bucks, closer to $100 if you want any sort if good laser. You can always look at the used stuff for sale on here. Your can find a good deal every now and then. Majority are fairly priced but occasionally youll find a steal

My main thoughts at the moment are:
Is 100mW too much for my goofing off purposes (safely, of course) because I certainly don't wanna wear goggles. Also, what is an IR filter for? Blocking out visible light?

gozert

IR filters are basically self explanatory. They filter the invisible IR light that DPSS lasers emit. 100mW is quite a bit of power, and I would recommend buying a pair of goggles for it. However, if you're not going to use it inside, and basically only point in the sky, then goggles aren't really needed.

For my: shining into friend's apartments purposes and occasional sky shining and freaking out the goats in the nearby farm, is 100mW overboard & 5mW more appropriate? Should I get the middle power: 50?
It's asking for the impossible but what is the most balanced power?
-Won't kill someone
-ok to shine through windows long distance
-Strongly visible at night/on stars
-Minimal goggles required
-Affordable

^which laser/power/site satisfies most those needs? Thanks!

Last edited:
For my: shining into friend's apartments purposes and occasional sky shining and freaking out the goats in the nearby farm, is 100mW overboard & 5mW more appropriate? Should I get the middle power: 50?
-Won't kill someone
-Affordable

Umm you should not be shinning anything over 5mws at anything that is living. If you want something to shin in apartment windows then I suggest you go to the closest gas station and pick up a cheap red pointer because that will be the only thing safe enough to use for what you are wanting to do. Please don't get a higher power and shin it at goats and such.

Last edited:

diachi

-Won't kill someone
-Affordable

You've now started three threads asking pretty much the same question. That should be avoided in future.

gozert

I even told you not to make multiple threads for the same question in your second thread. Do you even read our advice at all?

I even told you not to make multiple threads for the same question in your second thread. Do you even read our advice at all?

Again, 3rd thread is a legislature question, totally different. Why would I ask a thread worthy question in an already dead-thread?

diachi

2. 3rd one is asking a site-to-law based question...

You should avoid double posting within threads too - use the edit button.

And it is three, seeing as you didn't actually ask any questions about the law. (I gave you the answer anyway...)

I want my first green laser to be above 5mW so I can pop balloons and possibly light matches but laserglow claims they won't ship the strong ones to Canada unless I'm certified. Any other trustworthy sites? Also, it was $60CDN just for their cheapest 5mW green laser! Any cheaper alternatives?

You should introduce yourself in the Welcome section, read the rules and stickies there and perhaps consider adding your location to your profile. You'd be better received then. :yh:

gozert

Again, 3rd thread is a legislature question, totally different. Why would I ask a thread worthy question in an already dead-thread?

You're so ignorant, unbelievable. You made three thread that all came down to the very same question, just in another format. Quit it already.

You should avoid double posting within threads too - use the edit button.

And it is three, seeing as you didn't actually ask any questions about the law. (I gave you the answer anyway...)

You should introduce yourself in the Welcome section, read the rules and stickies there and perhaps consider adding your location to your profile. You'd be better received then. :yh:

Diachi, you merely told me again that lasers are illegal in that other thread when I already said that in my post lol. My question in it was "they won't ship to Canada. Are there any sites that will" I get that it is illegal but the laserglow guy on phone said there are some Asian companies that will. Thanks for the help, I will update my profile

Edit: gozert, if I am ignorant, then teach me rather than brush me off or try to silence me... That's why I came here. Better to annoy you & acquire some knowledge than continue not knowing and harm someone

Last edited:

diachi

Diachi, you merely told me again that lasers are illegal in that other thread when I already said that in my post lol. My question in it was "they won't ship to Canada. Are there any sites that will" I get that it is illegal but the laserglow guy on phone said there are some Asian companies that will. Thanks for the help, I will update my profile

Edit: gozert, if I am ignorant, then teach me rather than brush me off or try to silence me... That's why I came here. Better to annoy you & acquire some knowledge than continue not knowing and harm someone

You're contradicting yourself there, but whatever.

We aren't trying to brush you off or trying to silence you, but you're contradicting yourself and not following rules so it's a little hard to help until you read the rules & stickies posted in the welcome section. ;)

A simple read through the green lasers section, B/S/T section or reviews section would probably have answered your question by now anyway - seeing as it's been asked a million times already.