Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1st laser build, help and advice.

Hi I'm looking in to building my 1st laser, mainly because I want to repent for my sin of having an Artic, but also because I fancy the challenge.
I have a host (on its way) and that's a wf-501b.
The things I'd like to achieve is the usual laser stuff, burn matches, pop balloons etc.
Also I would like to stick to using one 18650 battery, as I know this is what my host will take and it's what I have a lot of (12 so far).
I know a guy with a lathe who can make a heat sink, but any other places to get one can be considered.
The things I am not sure on are where to get a decent red diode. I have a stack of dvd burners so harvesting one should not be a problem. The thing that confuses me is what type of driver to use (ie what current to put through it without burning it out).
My other idea was to simply buy a new one with known values. Any advice on this front would be gratefully received.
If there are any parts crucial to my build that I have forgotten please advice on those too. I'd be gutted if i got down to my build and had one part missing and had to wait weeks more for it to arrive lol.

Davidx

Check out Survlallasers. They have everything you'll need, and the owners is cool and helpful.
Super fast shipping too.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF Comander! :beer:
Since you already have a host, and access to a heatsink, you could also check out DTR's store, he has anything you need as far as red diodes go.
You can get anything from a diode only, all the way to a complete diode/module and lens set up.

Hi and welcome,
Ok since your using 18650 cels an d you want a. 638nm diode I would sugest a Mitsubishi 500 from dtr and a x boost driver set to 1.2 or 1.3A to achieve around 1W+ with a G2 lens. And if you want to cut down on the divergence use a 3 element lens but you will sacrifice a little power out put.
You know you can also use 2-18350 cells in that 501B host also if you do you will need a x drive bucking driver. I built quite a few of these and they are cool ..

rich:)

Thanks for the advice that does seem to be a good place to get a diode.
That driver is in the back of the laser housing? Do you connect this to the power differently than the drivel and pill style from survival lasers? maybe a battery contact board? (http://www.survivallaser.com/DIY_Battery_Contact_Board___Pill_Module/p556088_11130634.aspx)
Sorry if this is a daft question but this is my 1st build so getting my head around the fitting without having the hardware in my hands is difficult.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome,
Ok since your using 18650 cels an d you want a. 638nm diode I would sugest a Mitsubishi 500 from dtr and a x boost driver set to 1.2 or 1.3A to achieve around 1W+ with a G2 lens. And if you want to cut down on the divergence use a 3 element lens but you will sacrifice a little power out put.
You know you can also use 2-18350 cells in that 501B host also if you do you will need a x drive bucking driver. I built quite a few of these and they are cool ..

rich:)

the red diodes only need 1 cell to run (2.5-2.7volts) .... running it in 2 cell would generate more heat... and since a li-ion put out 3.7volts so a buck drive not a boost....

and N7 guy, buy the 500mw Mitsu or 700mw Oclaro from dtr DTR with a driver combo set at 1.2amps.... or contact Podo/Sanwu for a 3000mw red laser diode..... and the battery contact board from Survival Laser or contact Flaminpyro(also you can get a copper heatsink from him, longer run time for the diodes...). Use Sanyo 3500mah from LarryDFW for 2 hours battery life for your diode before recharge... and OD 5+ goggles from survival laser.

Thank you for the advice. I never figured it but i am finding the host the more complicated part. I understand the theory behind the electronics. But understanding the compatibility between different hosts drivers and heat sinks etc is proving something of a steep learning curve. I hope once i have one build under my belt it will all become clear.

there are lots of sites out there on the net that can help you with the more complicated bits of building lasers! Or find a mentor in a vet that can help you. That is what i did when i first started building lasers

My first build was in a Nintendo. Theres a link in my sig of the build. may give you a better idea. I did use two 3.0 volt cells on that build. I didn't know any better. Also the search feature at the bottom of the page is great. read read read and it will come to you. feel free to pm me
Welcome!!

Last edited:

Pman

There must be a ton of 501b builds here that show how it is done as that's one of the most popular builds out there. It will be a much easier build if you buy the complete Module from DTR that includes the diode already pressed, the driver already soldered to it and set properly so all that you need to do is solder a couple wires to the pill. I mention this as I don't know if you have a test load or and preferably a variable DC power supply and a multimeter to set the driver properly before soldering to the diode. Do you already have a diode press? It's much easier to build with the proper tools.

Congrats to Vortish on 1000th post:)

Last edited: