Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1st DIY Laser Project. 8x BDR-203. NEED IDEAS!!

daguin

Hurray! I have just finished taking apart the BDR-203 blu-ray burner.
I thought about buying the 12x blu-ray burner but I changed my mind.
The sled came out pretty easily but soldering the pins on the 8x laser diode was a pain in the butt :)
Anyhow, its all done so now I'm officially part of the 8x LD family!!!:gun:
I'll get to the 12x when I'm able to get those sleds at low cost.
Impression of the 8x LD laser pointer: The beam emitted from the 8x LD was more visible than the beam emitted from the PHR LD and it burned things at further distance. One more disturbing thing that happened which never occured when I used the PHR LD was that after playing around with that 8x LD, I could see this purplish dot clearly in the center of my vision even when I closed my eyes. This lasted for about 3 minutes or so until the effect died away. I'd say its time to get some glasses for this type of thing :scowl:
\
I yelled at you in your other thread as well, but this is very important --

With the 8X set at 365mA and a low loss lens, you are producing >400mW of violet light!!!!!

GET SOME LASER GOGGLES

Peace,
dave

HIMNL9

i join daguin for second, suggesting you to think about your eye safety ..... after all, remember that you only have two of them, and no spare parts :p

Anyway, as start, you can order cheap ones from DX or focalprice ..... not professional, but enough efficent with BR (and green) for save your eyes (and you can still see the dot on most surfaces, cause there's a lot of materials that have some fluorescence that make it visible also through the goggles)

Or you can always buy professional ones with glass lenses, more high cost, but they are certified ..... anyway, with these powers, some protections are needed ..... lasers are not toys ;)

The Protective Eye Glasses are now officially part of my shopping list. I was a bit nervous though when that purple dot appeared in the center of my vision. It was kind of nauseating :)

Now its time to think about my next DIY...

Cheers