Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1mw Pet laser

Hey everyone, I was looking to buy a 1mw green laser for my dog. I've seen some, but I'm really afraid that they'll be overspec and I don't want to hurt him. Anyone know where I can get a safe pet laser?

Edit: fixed grammar errors sorry was in a hurry when I wrote this

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I think a true 1mW may be hard to find, and even harder to verify that it's 1mW or less.
As long as you're careful, I think a <5mW laser would be safe. I've seen those little ones in the pet stores, but they're probably hit or miss at being <5mW.
I've found that most of those low price IR temperature sensors with the 650nm red aiming lasers seem to be less than 5mW, the one I have is +- 3mW.
Another option would be to make a cheap one using those little 650nm mini diodes that are dirt cheap to buy.
I made a little "cat toy" laser from one of those that I had given to me by Hakzaw a while ago, very cheap, and pretty easy to make. :yh:

Last edited:

GSS

Bowtie, do you mean the red diode axiz mini silver color modules? Hak also sent me a few a while ago and yes by "eye" they seem very safe. Also fun to play with the focus that you can just grab the plastic lens barrel just enough.
I ran one of mine straight for an hour or so just for fun.
Might be a fun project. The dollar store button cell cat toys one's, the diode burns out before even the cells die.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Since I received mine from Len (Hakzaw), I would bet that they were from AixiZ, since I believe he is a representative of theirs. Mine, if I'm not mistaken were brass or copper colored; I have the link to my build in my previous post, I'll have to look at it again.

Edit: Just checked and it's a brass module.

Last edited:

Trevor

Regardless of the power, lasers aren't great pet toys. Especially the case for dogs, but true for cats as well. Because they're unable to actually "catch" the dot and satisfy the prey instinct that makes them chase it, the laser becomes a source of stress. We used to play with our dog with a low power laser, but she'd be agitated for some time after we stopped and would continue looking for the dot. I've heard some people have been able to avoid this by making an elaborate show of "putting away" the laser dot, though by the time I learned that we had decided to stop using a laser as a dog toy.

Obviously, your mileage may vary (and depends heavily on the dog) but thought I'd share. Can't make a decision with information you don't have!

Trevor

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks Trevor, I had heard that about the dogs before, as a matter of fact, I was just searching for an old thread that I think Hakzaw posted in, warning of stress in dogs particularly.

Edit: Just looked at the 532nm Laserglow Lyra -C1's, $39 on sale.

Last edited:

Razako

I would recommend a laserglow pointer if safety is your concern. Those are power regulated to stay at safe levels.

GSS

Regardless of the power, lasers aren't great pet toys. Especially the case for dogs, but true for cats as well. Because they're unable to actually "catch" the dot and satisfy the prey instinct that makes them chase it, the laser becomes a source of stress. We used to play with our dog with a low power laser, but she'd be agitated for some time after we stopped and would continue looking for the dot. I've heard some people have been able to avoid this by making an elaborate show of "putting away" the laser dot, though by the time I learned that we had decided to stop using a laser as a dog toy.

Obviously, your mileage may vary (and depends heavily on the dog) but thought I'd share. Can't make a decision with information you don't have!

Trevor
Oh yes very true:undecided:
No matter how cute it is at first, its not a pretty sight watching in my case my cat withdraw from a couple minutes play. Any light reflection from say a cell phone or even eating with a spoon has them climbing walls, or even the clicking of me cutting my finger nails is a set off. Its an awefull thing to see them go through and so definitly stressful.
It for real took months for my cat to forget or at least not cry for it as she still didn't really forget. Now for my neighbors cat she couldn't even care less for one..

Bowtie, your right as Hak did have a Axiz connect but my modules just happen to be chrome plated but I guess not really mini as I had thought..

Edit: Trevor, I will ad, totatly understanding the setting up of showing your dog that this "gizmo" or "toy" has been put away.. I use to keep the pointer under my couch pillows and even though a cat's inteligence on this aspect is different, I can't touch the same pillow to this day without my cat thinking about it..

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information guys! I didn't know dogs could get stressed over this stuff. I'll talk to the breeder and see if he knows anything. If everything ends up fine I think I'll try to build one. It sounds like fun and it would be my first build. :thanks: :)

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Good luck with your build Pancit! Even if you decide not to use it as a pet toy, it will be fun, and good experience! :yh:

Chickens don't get stressed out.....
The 405nm is perfect to corral them in at night.

:whistle:

I have a 3mw blue one from laserbtb, runs off tw AAA batteries. I'd sell it shipped for $45 if you're interested. It'd be great for a pet. And it has a little red indicator light. PM me if interested.

GSS

Chickens don't get stressed out.....
The 405nm is perfect to corral them in at night.

:whistle:
I still tell this chicken corral story when ever I can, even to people I don't even know:bowdown:

I'm wondering now as to who a "laser cat toy" was really made for??
are amusement or theirs, with thinking the first..
Cat's really don't need any extra toy's to be stimulated nor a dog to needing one to lose weight as they claim.
I'm guilty myself of putting a bunch of extra empty 2 liter soda bottles at the end of my hallway and watching my cat plow through them like a bowling ball chasing that dot:eek::(
That's how determined they are to get that "thing":thinking:

Last edited:
I still tell this chicken corral story when ever I can, even to people I don't even know:bowdown:
It's a funny one isn't it Pete ! :crackup:
I'm wondering now as to who a "laser cat toy" was really made for??
are amusement or theirs, with thinking the first..
Cat's really don't need any extra toy's to be stimulated nor a dog to needing one to lose weight as they claim.
I'm guilty myself of putting a bunch of extra empty 2 liter soda bottles at the end of my hallway and watching my cat plow through them like a bowling ball chasing that dot:eek::(
That's how determined they are to get that "thing":thinking:
Yep, I think a lot of people have tried that....

Radim

Funny thing is "my" dog is really happy when I play with him with a laser, especially outside. Well, I never let him get nearby the dot, not crossing the beam, I do not point even nearby anything reflective. He is absolutely aware what it is about as he observes me carefully where I point it (the hardware I mean), even before I switch it on and everytime he sees me with laser in hand, becomes crazy. I guess he even knows already, he will never catch it as he behaves like this. He just like running behind the dot. Also it is a great remote control - when I do not know where he is (big garden), I shine around the garden for a while (of course in controlled area not to allow him to appear close to laser) and he just appears following the dot. But it is not good as the only toy, I've read it might be bad for dog's psychic well being - they might start catching light reflections (from sun for example) and, as written already, they never get the prey. So It is possible to use laser as a toy occasionaly only. It cannot replace standard catch a prey game. Interesting thing is "my" cat is not interested in lasers. He just sometimes observe this, but no passion for catching it.