Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1kW Xenon short arc

The bulb itself uses quartz. Maybe he was referring to auxiliary optics.

Here you have a 2 pictures of the 15 kW Xenon short-arc lamp used in IMAX projectors.

Its operating voltage is 37.5 volts with a current consumption of 400 amps,
reaches 700 degrees C, operates at a pressure of about 25 bars, and cost approximately 6000 US dollars :yh:

xenonlamp.jpg

xenonshortarc1.jpg

sinner

Its just epic in its own way, why would anyone bash you :p
The Xenon Short Arc's are way brighter than regular metal halide lamps and they do have a high color temperature and the emitter is very small , "Just a few millimeters" Also they come in different sizes from a 100W~10KW..
So a point source and a reflector makes a straight beam possible..
We have access to some generic 250W Xenon Short Arcs for As low as $15 and Drivers $40 dont know the current prices but i bought it off a phillipino guy..
It would be a fun project too.. I'm seriously considering making a Quarter kWatter!!

nice someone brought this back, I was talking about this yesterday, I may have to build one but damn this thing called money keeps shutting my projects down:p

in the US the FAA would be your best friend if you owned and operated one of these.

There is actually a Guy locally (50ish miles) by me who sells these VSS tank lights (without psu's ofc)

Last edited:
I live close to Robert Grey AAF and Ft Hood i should def check this out

Last edited:
^ Well its crossed my mind a few times. The only things stopping me is the insane amount of power the units need to run, the 1000$ I don't have for a toy like this (nor the space really) and I don't want the FAA knocking on my door every time I want to "play". (I live in the city... so I'm not isolated from airports. Which one is near by <25 miles or so)

Your welcome to buy me one though!!! :)

Here's the listing if anyone's interested.

MILITARY SEARCHLIGHT XENON INFRARED VSS-3 | eBay