Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1kW Xenon short arc

LaZeRz

This military searchlight is out of this world... :eek:

1kW Xenon Arc Tank Light

Just look at the beamshots!

I know I will probably get bashed for saying this, but, that looks cooler than a laser beam... :scared:

That thing looks like it can stay collimated forever!

What do you think of it?

Last edited:
Reactions: rhd

Fenzir

VSS3_07_23_05_Cs.jpg

I would pay $600 for that.

LaZeRz

I'm actually saving up for something like that :tinfoil:

Although I see one downfall... What the hell would happen if you hit a plane (non-purposely) with that...

Last edited:

Benm

Thats pretty cool!

Some clubs use searchlights like these to attract visitors, and their use is prohibited around most airports, probably for good reason.

That's... incredible.

And regarding the plane... my guess is that it would burst into flame and fall to the earth.

Lol those lights are immensely powerful, and are as or more dangerous than a lot of lasers. I'd love to own one, but they are rare. There are newer ones, and if you want power like that short arc is the only game in town.

-Dustin

Short arc is way better at throw than any other light. It is the perfect way to explain how we can focus laser diodes so far. Short arc means that all that light is coming from an arc much shorter than most HIDs. For example, the electrodes in my 35W discharge lamps are 3-4mm apart. The xenon short arc is much smaller, and the light is concentrated and emitted from almost a pinpoint of light right on the cathode. The smaller "emitting area" makes it much easier to focus farther.

ARG

Wow. The beam shots are amazing. I wonder if it really looks that blue in real life, or if it's just the camera picking it up as blue.

Things

All arc lamps tend to have a fair bit of their light output in the UV spectrum, compared to mostly IR for incandescent lights. So yes, it probably is that blue in real life.

Nice i have a 2500w short arc lamp but no supply. Well i have a 3 phase rectifier but no way to power it.

LOL That is one nice lamp, I decided to read the guys post, just to get some info whe nI came across the part where he said it cost a lot for teh connectors, and since it's from a millitary vehicle...I can assure anyone who was curious those connects are NOT cheap we're talking about $50 for a little 3 pin connector and $300 or so for a 24pin connector.

LaZeRz

Well, I would spend thousands for something like that :whistle:

I was just explaining how these throw better then LED's since they have a smaller emitting area... lol

@kmor2004... wouldn't it be possible to make your own cables and connectors? Might not look as nice but it would work

Last edited:
You probably could its not exactly the cables cost unless you were to buy the ACTUAL cables that were used, but the connectors are also expensive, still though you could use diffent connectors not sure how well they would fit the enclosures, not to mention you'd probably lose the water tight seal that the connectors have.

WOW! That is incredibly awesome. I agree, the beam is much nicer than that of a laser :p

Lol those lights are immensely powerful, and are as or more dangerous than a lot of lasers. I'd love to own one, but they are rare. There are newer ones, and if you want power like that short arc is the only game in town.

-Dustin

WOW! Looks like Aliens beaming something from earth!!!

Mention, 2 Dangers from Xe Short Arcs. They emit Extremely powerful short UV spectra (petty much like an arc welder). Also Incredible heat generated by the bulb (arc lamp) is a particular safety concern. You need welders goggles when using it! These bulbs are used in the motion picture industry for projection systems. A 15KW version of this lamp is used to power the IMAX projectors and are liquid cooled.

joeyss

Well, I would spend thousands for something like that :whistle:

I was just explaining how these throw better then LED's since they have a smaller emitting area... lol

@kmor2004... wouldn't it be possible to make your own cables and connectors? Might not look as nice but it would work

Whoa hey guys how cheap are small ones? I'm intrested in one that's brighter than my 1450 lumen spotlight from walmart.