Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1930 Eveready Penlight [Pic Heavy]

IsaacT

It would definitely be bigger :) and by the way im touched you linked to my build.

if he wants to do a 473, he should try contacting CNI and see if they will sell the modules from the CR2 pens....actually, I will ask them. I am already in contact for the CNI GB.

djQUAN

a direct diode 473 will definitely fit the host but will not fit the budget. :p

A 473 Diode?

I looked at the spec sheet for the GLP-473 from CNI Data Sheet Here and the 16mm diameter won't fit in this particular pen. IIRC this host only has a 14mm ID. Maybe the outside of the module could be ground down a few mm to make it fit. But even if I could that would be a whopping 5mW. Not that it wouldn't be an awesome wavelength but I'd want a little bit more than 5mW. I'd gladly put in a 450 and wait until the 473 comes down in price and size and make the swap then. Of course by that itme, who knows what diodes will be available!?

BShanahan, I like that but it's way too big. As far as full size hosts go, I'm partial to This One myself. ;)

Its sad that quality now a days is worse than it was back then. It amazes me that a pen light from the 1930s can out perform the mini maglight I had that corroded to point it could no longer function.

You have consider the price/value of the product you're dealing with in relative terms also though.

Maglite to this pen, is not a fair comparison.

Compare it to a $100 penlight made by a top manufacturer now, and see which one wins out over time.

IE is right, I can't find the cost of any of the penlights from the early 1900's but I did find that the original bicycle light cost $4 in 1899. If a person in 1930 invested in a penlight for $4 in 2013 that would have been about $55 using average inflation rates. However if that same person bought a $4 penlight in 1913 it would have been a $100 investment!

Omg How Much And Where! ?

Also, After Enlisting My Girlfriend To Help, We Found Out That These Are Rare For Sure, But Not Valuable ... So It Looks Like It Might Live On As A Laser :)

IsaacT

Styropyro owns 3 of the 476 diodes, and KapHn8d owns the other one he won through the GB we did to test it. When I didnt win it I offered to buy it from him lol. No dice. They are worth about 400 dollars per diode, and there wont be any more of them. I think styro is making them into builds and plans to sell two of them.

Every one wants a 473. Good luck to you with the 473nm. They are extremely expensive. Limited production diodes and giant modules. You have better luck with a 520. From what I'm aware they only made so many and don't plan on any more.