Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

18650 Powered Green Laser for Astronomy

Pregulls

Hi All,
I am looking to buy a green laser for astronomy. It will mostly be used under dark skies as a finder or to show people where my telescope is pointing at. Since I laready have 18650 batteries I would like to get a compatible laser. It would also be nice if it had a remote switch.
So far I came across this laser. Does anyone happen to know if there is any generic remote switch that will fit it? Or maybe a complete package for a reasonable price (I didn't find any that would take 18650 batteries)? Also, what the diameter of the tube is? (I need to get a picatinny mount for it as well).
Thanks a lot.

GSS

Link say 28mm diameter which is probably at the thickest ends so it's guide line.
It's a 532 DPSS and should work as long as its not cold out. Something to think about if it's going to be mounted and not held in your hand to help keep it warm..
Can't help with a remote switch but there are switches that have a cable to the tail cap with a pressure switch you can hold in your hand.

Pregulls

From my experience with AliExpress sellers 28mm means that it can be 28mm or anything else :D.
It is going to be mounted. How cold is too cold? It is unlikely to get under 0C/32F, more like 5C/41F at it's lowest.

GSS

Not to sure of the temp cut off.. For $3.33 though why not try??
Small part of the 28mm should be 1 a inch clamp I would think:unsure:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
KTP likes to be warm, so conversion efficiency is best at warmer temperatures. I have a laser projector outside that was operating at temps at less than 0C. It will start of dim and will gradually brighten up as it warms up through usage. To get around this altogether, you could use a single mode diode 520nm laser instead. However it doesn't sound like using a DPSS 532 will present any real problems for you. It is only a problem if you are regularly exposed to cold temperatures. 532 lasers are used for astronomy all the time.

I have a laser just like the one you linked to. It has a beam diameter at the aperture of a mm. I believe it measures ~75 mW of optical power. The thing on the end that looks like a focus knob is actually a pair of diffraction gratings that rotate against each other and give a pattern like stars in the far field. It is removable, though.

Pregulls

I have a laser just like the one you linked to. It has a beam diameter at the aperture of a mm. I believe it measures ~75 mW of optical power. The thing on the end that looks like a focus knob is actually a pair of diffraction gratings that rotate against each other and give a pattern like stars in the far field. It is removable, though.

Can you please tell me what the body diameter is? Do you know if 501B tailcap will fit it?

Hi,
If you want a remote switch in a 501B I can do that with a 520 green diode that puts out 200mW's . If interested PM me

Rich:)

Can you please tell me what the body diameter is? Do you know if 501B tailcap will fit it?

It is packed away in a box, so I'll have to figure out which box and get back to you. Off the top of my head I'd say no, though. I believe they are two different hosts and you can't interchange parts.

Hi, Your 501B battery tube OD. is 1" / 25mm all are the same , the only difference between different manufacturers are the threads and the OD. inside the bezel. you can fit this host on a picatinny rail with 1" rings and if they are a little loose they make half moon spacers to take up the slack. I have countless number of scopes and rails with weaver type rings . Been doing this for ages your picatinny rail with take 1" weaver rings.

I pulled my laser out and it already has a tail cap switch like the 501B flashlight host does. No need for replacing the tail cap with another with a switch on it. Hope that helps.
Look at the second photo in the link you provided. It shows the switch clearly in this photo.

Hi,
In the original post you stated that you wanted remote pressure switch this can be done with a 501b host . Added with a 520nm Green diode

LED Museum did a review of 505nm green lasers that are 50mw roughly and are waterproof and focusable.
I have 2 of them and they are perfect as star pointers. They have clicky tailswitches.
Because they are diode lasers they are much less sensitive to temperature than 532 NM DPSS lasers.

See if you can use them for your application!

Pregulls

Hi, Your 501B battery tube OD. is 1" / 25mm all are the same , the only difference between different manufacturers are the threads and the OD. inside the bezel. you can fit this host on a picatinny rail with 1" rings and if they are a little loose they make half moon spacers to take up the slack. I have countless number of scopes and rails with weaver type rings . Been doing this for ages your picatinny rail with take 1" weaver rings.

Thanks. Just to clarify, is the host I have linked in the OP compatible with 501b tailcaps?
I am not too worried about slack as I plan on drilling and tapping the rings and use nylon screws for adjustment anyway. As long as it's not too tight it's all good :)

I pulled my laser out and it already has a tail cap switch like the 501B flashlight host does. No need for replacing the tail cap with another with a switch on it. Hope that helps.
Look at the second photo in the link you provided. It shows the switch clearly in this photo.
Is it the same as 501b though? There are replacement tailcaps available for 501b with a remote switch. I was wondering if I can replace the original one with 501b remote switch.

LED Museum did a review of 505nm green lasers that are 50mw roughly and are waterproof and focusable.
I have 2 of them and they are perfect as star pointers. They have clicky tailswitches.

Because they are diode lasers they are much less sensitive to temperature than 532 NM DPSS lasers.

See if you can use them for your application!
I am afraid these are a little more expensive than I am willing to spend on this project atm.

The common Laser 301 will do just fine for star pointing. The laser you linked to is also fine.

It's amazing how inexpensive they have become. I still remember when a green DPSS laser would have cost hundreds of dollars.

Please be careful when pointing into the sky or at anything else - you need to be sure there are no people or vehicles in the background that might inadvertently be hit. Even if accidental, the penalties for not checking this can be severe, so do your due diligence :)