Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

18650 IMR batteries

numsi

Hi I was wondering was is the difference between 18650 2000mAh IMR battery and 18650 3100mAh one?

I need a battery that can last longer.
Thanks

Hi I was wondering was is the difference between 18650 2000mAh IMR battery and 18650 3100mAh one?

I need a battery that can last longer.
Thanks

Definition

The letters "mAh" stand for milliampere hours. Milliampere measures a unit of electric charge, and tells a user how many electrical currents are released in an hour.

Power

The higher the number preceding the letters "mAh," the longer the battery will last. For example, if the label on the battery reads "2500mAh," it means the battery is getting 2500 milliampere an hour. Typical rechargeable batteries are rated between 1800mAh and 2700mAh, and can be purchased in different sizes.

*The 18650 2000mAh IMR battery is unprotected. (shorter usage time, but allows for higher drain) + battery is shorter (call it normal) in size.
*The 18650 3100mAh IMR battery is protected. (longer usage time, but protection can kick in when draining too much power from it) + battery is longer in size couse of the build in protection.

Most people use unprotected ones in lasers, flashlights etc.. but the choise is yours.
I like to have both.

Cheers ,sm.

Last edited:
Panasonic Cells:

Capacity of a IMR CGR18650CH is 2200mah (slightly lower IR)

vs.

Capacity of ICR NCR18650B is 3400mah,
and has >50% more capacity.

I measure DC Internal Resistance @ 55 milliOhms.

The ICR can deliver more amps,

but since the NCR18650B can deliver 6 amps,

most people choose the much higher capacity ICR cell.

Larry DFW

P.S. There is NO 3100mah IMR cell.

Last edited:
Definition

The letters "mAh" stand for milliampere hours. Milliampere measures a unit of electric charge, and tells a user how many electrical currents are released in an hour.

Power

The higher the number preceding the letters "mAh," the longer the battery will last. For example, if the label on the battery reads "2500mAh," it means the battery is getting 2500 milliampere an hour. Typical rechargeable batteries are rated between 1800mAh and 2700mAh, and can be purchased in different sizes.

*The 18650 2000mAh IMR battery is unprotected. (shorter usage time, but allows for higher drain) + battery is shorter (call it normal) in size.
*The 18650 3100mAh IMR battery is protected. (longer usage time, but protection can kick in when draining too much power from it) + battery is longer in size couse of the build in protection.

Most people use unprotected ones in lasers, flashlights etc.. but the choise is yours.
I like to have both.

Cheers ,sm.
I am guessing that he meant what is the difference between a 2000mAh IMR and a standard 3100mAh Protected Lithium. Most notable difference being the amount of current that each can provide all at once. IMR is better for your 2W Builds.