Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

18350 Batteries

I just placed an order for a Challenger II laser which requires flat top 18350 batteries to operate. I've read here Efest is a quality battery, is this true? Are there other types that are of high quality? I assume it would be wise to purchase the protected type?

Efest is the most popular brand of 18350 batteries, at least here on the forum. 18350s are not as popular as 18650s though, so there are not too many brands that make them.
Unfortunately, protected batteries have been reported to not fit in Sanwu lasers, so I recommend you go with unprotected cells. There is no real danger in normal usage - in 6 years of using lasers I have never had a battery explode inside a laser. :)

Efest is the most popular brand of 18350 batteries, at least here on the forum. 18350s are not as popular as 18650s though, so there are not too many brands that make them.
Unfortunately, protected batteries have been reported to not fit in Sanwu lasers, so I recommend you go with unprotected cells. There is no real danger in normal usage - in 6 years of using lasers I have never had a battery explode inside a laser. :)

Thanks. Unfortunately 18650's do not fit inside the Challenger. Size differences are. Protected are larger.
length 2.73 mm
diameter .18mm

Last edited:
Are you sure? There's just two tenths of a voltage difference 3.6v v. 3.7v.

When you put two 18350s in series, as is done with the Challenger II, the voltage is doubled, to 7.4 volts. One 18650 can only provide 3.7 volts.

I had read the same thing so got flattop 18650 batteries for my Sanwu Spiker. When I put them in they were bouncing back and forth not making a connection. Had to buy those magnetic spacers to make the connection good. 8mm was about right. Should have gotten protected batteries for my Spiker.

Hi steve, AW is another very good 18350 battery choice, Here is one source of genuine AW batteries.
This is a review of the 800mAh version. If you buy AW batteries, only get them from authorized sellers.

Reactions: GSS
When you put two 18350s in series, as is done with the Challenger II, the voltage is doubled, to 7.4 volts. One 18650 can only provide 3.7 volts.

I was at first assuming their dimensions were the same or nearly so but that was an incorrect assumption.

I consider Efest to be midrange. There are other brands such as those Bow recommended that I believe are higher quality. As he mentioned unfortunately their popularity has also made them a major issue wth fake cells. Hardly anyone here uses protected cells in their lasers.

Reactions: GSS
Hi,
E Fest cells are good and like Bowtie said AW's are an awesome cell also. I use AW most of the time but get them from a reputable dealer , you won't be disappointed

Rich:)

Which digital two bay li-ion charger do you all like?

Last edited:
I have tested the voltage drop into a 1 ohm load with an inductive ammeter and these LG INR's are very good, they are a good price too.

Lg spent a lot of money on R & D and make good cells, these I have tested and they blow the Panasonic NCR cells away for high drain use.

They are non protected as are many of the flat tops.

2 x Genuine LG HG2 INR18650HG2 3000mAh 30A INR High Drain Battery w Case | eBay

Back