Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

16340 fell in food

So, one of my 16340s fell out of my charger, into a pot of pav bhaji. I got it out of the pot as fast as I could, and wiped it with alcohol. It's currently sitting in a bowl of rice. I noticed some food covering one of the vent holes. I did something very stupid and blew on it, and it went inside.
Is it safe to use?

Encap

LOL Not a problem delt with here--clean the food off the vent hole charge it and see

LOL Not a problem delt with here--clean the food off the vent hole charge it and see
I'm concerned about the food having fallen right on one of the internal vents after I blew it in. I'll let it sit in the bowl of rice overnight and try charging it tomorrow.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Did you add the rice to complete the batteries helping of your curry? Put the battery on a plate of naan next. jk

Just don't test the battery with one of your lasers just in case.

Take a voltage measurement now and write it down. If it is the same tomorrow then it is no problem.
The only bad thing that could happen is some conductive residue being left between positive and negative, which would slowly discharge the battery.

Take a voltage measurement now and write it down. If it is the same tomorrow then it is no problem.
The only bad thing that could happen is some conductive residue being left between positive and negative, which would slowly discharge the battery.
I wiped it with alcohol so there's no way that happened. I'll try it though.

I'm just telling what too look for, and how to confirm it since you were worried.

if its a cheap cell, I would just buy another one. but i dont see the food being a real problem to be honest.

sorry
I am lost on the 'vent hole' guess it HAS to be a hole in the battery?? Is that around the + end & of a protected cell??
Would vacuum be better?

sorry
I am lost on the 'vent hole' guess it HAS to be a hole in the battery?? Is that around the + end & of a protected cell??
Would vacuum be better?
yeah yeah, Vent hole, usually every IMR/High drain/unprotected Li battery has one. usually split up in 2 or 4. and yes, its always at the + end. I dont usually see them on protected cells, but some protected ones do have them. wasnt sure if i misunderstood your question. lol