Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

15mW green VS 100mW red

Using WL as an example, between their Core and Nano models (green version)... one at 5mW and the other at 15mW, will there be a big difference in beam brightness between the two or actually quite similar?

It takes Four times the power to notice twice the perceived brightness so not much difference

Thanks for the help!

1. It really depends on what is available and aesthetics of the host as well. That's actually what attracted me on WL.

2. The laser I'm looking for is one with the best visibility of beam (and dot at considerable distance) while having the less burning/damage possible. So it must be a good equilibrium between the two.

3. Green really isn't my favourite color but it seems to be the best option for my intended use, given that it has the brighter beam with less power as you explained, so green it is.

For example I have checked lazerer as an alternative to WL that I have seen recommended several times in this forum, but since they charge for shipping in the end the price isn't that much cheaper than WL, with a less good looking host.

With that said, what different options would you recommend?

Well.... that gives you a few option really.

Using WL as an example, between their Core and Nano models (green version)... one at 5mW and the other at 15mW, will there be a big difference in beam brightness between the two or actually quite similar?

7nj8.jpg

33 Reasons not to buy from WickedLasers

40183367.jpg

Last edited:
It takes Four times the power to notice twice the perceived brightness so not much difference
For the same wavelength?
Yes. The inverse law does apply , but we are talking about "perceived brightness" .When that's the case , you'll have to take Rayleigh scattering into consideration.

Use just the Rohanhill tool

I just thought of something.
Which do you value the most?
Divergence , beam diameter ,visibility or range?
In descending order please.

Visibility, range, divergence, beam diameter.

Green it is.

Next question will help us suggest a brand ,possibly even a specific product .

In descending order.

Price , durability, customer service , ease of payment , shipping cost effectiveness , host appearance , performance as stated on the specs sheets.

EDIT: A crucial question would be What is your budget?

For your information ,here is a series of video comparing different laser colors

And now in different powers

Last edited:
Green it is.

Next question will help us suggest a brand ,possibly even a specific product .

In descending order.

Price , durability, customer service , ease of payment , shipping cost effectiveness , host appearance , performance as stated on the specs sheets.

EDIT: A crucial question would be What is your budget?
This is a harder one.

Host appearance, durability, price & shipping cost, performance, customer service, ease of payment.

As for budget as I said it really depends on the specific product being recommended, different lasers and different looks are worth different prices/budgets. Anything below WL pricing, that would be the max I could spend.

This is a harder one.

Host appearance, durability, price & shipping cost, performance, customer service, ease of payment.

As for budget as I said it really depends on the specific product being recommended, different lasers and different looks are worth different prices/budgets. Anything below WL pricing, that would be the max I could spend.

I see.
So you value the host's appearance above performance.
Would want the laser to be durable, I assume that includes the host too , and then its price and shipping so as to reduce unnecessary cost.

Ok then.

If that is the case I recommend you the Jet Laser's Ti-B 100mW laser.
TI B LASERS - 532NM GREEN. Titanium lasers by JETLASERS

Titanium alloy host ,
Hand picked laser diodes.
Fabricated and administrated jointly by a core member of the LPF forums - Hak .
And soon to be sold out (each one they sell actually cost Jet Laser money ,think of it as the Lexus LFA of the laser world)

9291851402_4faaea2fa3.jpg

9291854612_d5543382b5.jpg

A laser of excellence comes with a price only those whose blood flows with excellency can afford.
But with its high QC assurance and robust construction , its sure not to disappoint.

As a matter of fact , Jetlaser is currently carrying out a sale of the item .
Get in touch with Hak (click the hyperlink) to know more about the laser.

He should be able to sort something out for you .

Remember to tell him I sent ya eh?

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestion but that's not really what I'm looking for. It has way too much power. As I mentioned above I'm looking for something with higher visibility but with the least "burn" possible. That's why I was considering both the Nano or the Core products at Wicked Lasers, a 15mW and a 5mW green laser.

Thank you for the suggestion but that's not really what I'm looking for. It has way too much power. As I mentioned above I'm looking for something with higher visibility but with the least "burn" possible. That's why I was considering both the Nano or the Core products at Wicked Lasers, a 15mW and a 5mW green laser.
as per my post some posts up if that's the case just by a few eBay pens you will get that power range you are looking for at that power output brand is neither here or there, almost all eBay pens will give you 15mw plus get a couple, worry about brand names if you want 100mW and up and for them to have better looking hosts, I've never had hassles with eBay pens mine all still work fine, not fancy hosts but its not worth paying a lot of money for a fancy looking host at such low power level

That's the thing, I do value the host and was looking for a good looking one. Most ebay hosts are terrible. Besides I have no way to check the power once they come so I can't be sure if some are at 5mW and others at 15mW or 30mW. I also read that ebay lasers are not IR filtered making them more dangerous in some situations, which is not the case with WL and other brands. Is this true?

Last edited:
That's the thing, I do value the host and was looking for a good looking one. Most ebay hosts are terrible. Besides I have no way to check the power once they come so I can't be sure if some are at 5mW and others at 15mW or 30mW. I also read that ebay lasers are not IR filtered making them more dangerous in some situations, which is not the case with WL and other brands. Is this true?

That all depends on users knowledge...

I would olmost suggest you a nano and make a review of it for us.

I'm sure you will like it with it's functions (build in IC) that let's you keep it on without pushing the button.
Sinds you want a nice looking host (well WL did it again)
If not, i would suggest a laser from laserbtb ''google'' or search here.

That all depends on users knowledge...

I would olmost suggest you a nano and make a review of it for us.

I'm sure you will like it with it's functions (build in IC) that let's you keep it on without pushing the button.
Sinds you want a nice looking host (well WL did it again)
If not, i would suggest a laser from laserbtb ''google'' or search here.

Would you recommend me the Nano over the Core?

Also, would the use of protective glasses be absolutely essential when using this one or probably could be safe without them? Speaking with the guys at WL they said that with their Nano red glasses would be a must but due to the low power on the Nano green should be fine without glasses. (Obviously I don't plan pointing it at anyone's eyes)

To be honest, I really wouldn't recommend WickedLasers.
They have quite a .... lets say history with LPF.

But if its such low power is what you seek. I guess you are pretty much stuck with pen-style lasers .

Here is one from O-like :
50mW 6 in1 kaleidoscope green laser pointer [OLGL6-1] - $19.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
13170368910.jpg

If you got a PSU , you can opt for industrial modules
Indutrial class 50mW green laser module /Long duty cycle [OL-IGL-50] - $39.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
That way , you can analogue modulate the output too if you have a control board.
13682550980.jpg

Another option you have is one of this.
Sharp High Power Green laser 50mW /Waterproof/focusable [OL-WG-50] - $39.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
Winner%20-1.jpg

50mW is your best bet I'll say.

IF you must go for 15mW ....
I'll rather if you build one yourself than buying overpriced stuff from WickedLasers...
Industrial Lab 3VDC 532nm Green Laser 10mW Diode Module | eBay