Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

12x visibility?

So Im looking into building/buying a 12x complete build, and I was wondering, at night (without smoke) how visible is a 500 mW blu ray laser? Thanks.

Well, a PHR is visible at night without smoke, so a 12X would be extremely visible at night without smoke. IIRC they're even visible inside....with average lighting. My mistake of a PHR would hit spikes where it was visible indoors and would burn match sticks, so yeah, it's pretty visible ;)

near that of a 25mW green but it really depends on the individual 12X diode. I have had 2 12X diodes at the exact same power and visually one was twice as bright as the other.

daguin

Unfortunately, different people see it differently AND the beam's visibility is significantly influenced by whether your particular diode is +5nm or -5nm.

Peace,
dave

Well that leaves my in confusion. Are 25mW greens visible in light? Because I had a PHR (it died when I put 9V on the driver) that was visible in mild lighting.

Unfortunately, different people see it differently AND the beam's visibility is significantly influenced by whether your particular diode is +5nm or -5nm.

Peace,
dave

DAMN! That means I musta killed a pretty good freak diode! NOOOO!!!! :cryyy: Well, I'll still keep the diode as a 'what coulda been' thing....epic-sadness OR maybe, in the future people will be able to repair dead diodes, lets hope so ;)

Last edited:

Peace,
dave

How do I know how to buy the visible one, or to control that +- 5 nm variance?

How do I know how to buy the visible one, or to control that +- 5 nm variance?

You don't, but generally they're pretty good, it's only every now and then that they're high or low, you usually get 405nm.

PS: Just to speed things up for you a good bit, I'll show you a parts list of what you will need to make a 12X blu-ray laser, as well as some necesary accessories for your laser build! BEware, this is a pretty expensive build, so this will let you know what you're getting into rather than going in head first ;)

the BDR-205 drive that you're getting the diode from: ~$200.00
Pioneer BDR-205 Blu Ray Burner - 12x BD-R, 12x BD-R DL, 2x BD-DE, 16x DVD+-R, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW, 8x DVD+-R DL, 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW, 40x CD-ROM, SATA at TigerDirect.com

Module/housing: $3.00
Aixiz Laser Module - Blank [Aixiz] - $3.08 : High Tech DealZ, Simplifying the LASER Hobby!

Host build kit these are a few examples, but here are more: ~$45.00
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-stainless-steel-cr2-kit-polished-schweet-50879.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/fs-18650-build-kit-easy-assembly-blu-ray-red-43857.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/fs-pocket-mini-build-kit-easy-assembly-22537.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-stainless-steel-10440-kit-awesome-45919.html

Safety glasses THIS IS A MUST!! $24.00
405nm,473nm,532nm laser safety goggles [OLGLG532] - $19.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

Also, some things to take note of, the 405-G-1 lens is practically a must, it gives a 31% power boost, and it won't deform under the power of a 12X. Also, since I'm gowing to assume your electronic 'savy-ness' is relatively limited, I recommend getting the 'HOT' option (it's a driver set at the current you want). I'm not positive on the current to set it at, I've heard everything from 350mA - 410mA, so I'm not really sure. The 'EZ' Focus adapter is also a really use touch, it allows...easy focus.... These three options ammount to: ~$125

TOTAL: ~$400.00

Again, this is just a parts list, and a price tag. I just want you to make sure you know just how much you're spendin ;)

EDIT: The two middles Jayrob kits just won't go to the name of the title! They stay like that, I keep looking at them but they won't change away from URL! >.<

Last edited:
and little follow up on bloom's above post... if you decide to go with the lava drive, or any driver for that matter, and you choose the preset option... YOU STILL NEED TO TEST YOUR CURRENT before you attach your diode.... mistakes happen at the sellers, they are ppl too. so having a multi meter is a must in this hobby even if you are buing preset parts.

michael

and little follow up on bloom's above post... if you decide to go with the lava drive, or any driver for that matter, and you choose the preset option... YOU STILL NEED TO TEST YOUR CURRENT before you attach your diode.... mistakes happen at the sellers, they are ppl too. so having a multi meter is a must in this hobby even if you are buing preset parts.

michael

I second that, I found that out the hard way with my first Blu-Ray.

BTW: Is this your FIRST laser? You're starting off with a 12X 405nm laser? Wow....that's a large price tag for a first.

I second that, I found that out the hard way with my first Blu-Ray.

BTW: Is this your FIRST laser? You're starting off with a 12X 405nm laser? Wow....that's a large price tag for a first.

Well no its not my first, right now Im finishing up a PHR-803T build, and have really started to become fascinated with the hobby.

I appreciate the parts list you have composed for me, and will follow your advice! If you think I shouldn't go to the 12x right off the line, and should follow up my PHR-803T build with a 6x or 8x before moving to a 12x let me know!

Thank you for your advice!

you should build what ever you are comfortable building... if you are happy 100% with your phr and feel confident then go for the beast.

michael

I'm not saying you shouldn't, I just thought this was your first laser. And I was shocked at paying $400+ on a first laser. But, since it's not your first, go right ahead ;)

daguin

My advice is always:

Build whatever you can afford to blow.

With any build there is a possibility that something will go wrong. If you can afford to blow a $200 diode without significant emotion, then go for it. If you turn on your first $200 LED and it was all you had to spend, you should practice more with less expensive diodes.

Peace,
dave

My advice is always:

Build whatever you can afford to blow.

With any build there is a possibility that something will go wrong. If you can afford to blow a $200 diode without significant emotion, then go for it. If you turn on your first $200 LED and it was all you had to spend, you should practice more with less expensive diodes.

Peace,
dave

When you say practice with less expensive diodes, do you mean practice harvesting them, or casing them with the axiz module?

Everything, practice harvesting, practice mounting, handling them, practice soldering them onto the driver so you don't have heat on em forever, removing PCB, EVERYTHING. Everything that you'd do with a diode, practice makes perfect ;)

Exerd

The one thing I like about 405nm is the divergence I have obtained with them.

It seems to me that the 12Xs I have built have much better divergence than the greens and reds I have focused.

Is this an attribute of shorter wavelengths, or is it merely circumstantial in my situation?